Where to setup for generating automatically Journal Entry for every commercial transaction in the system?

Hi everyone,

Where is the section/page to configure ERPNext for automatic generation of Journal Entries (account moves) for every commercial transaction in the system? I mean, generate automatically journal entry when is made every purchase, every sale, payment, etc.

Thanks in advanced

I think whenever you create a sales invoice, payment entry etc and submit it, the system creates a journal entry automatically based on your chart of accounts

Hi @Pawan,

I create a sale and then a sale invoice, but the account move it is not created. You can see here [1] when I made a sale in demo.erpnext.com.

My question is about if it is possible to configure ERPNext for creating automatically account moves like the list in [2]. In this screenshot [3] you can see the detail of an account move is automatically generated when a sale is done and this one [4] when payment is made with cash in the moment when sale is done. I have a friend who is an accountant and he said me about it is mandatory to have an account move for every transaction like sale, purchase, sale payment, purchase payment, etc.

The screenshots [2], [3] and [4] is from a demo of other ERP software.

Thanks in advanced

[1]
2017-04-08-journal-entries.png

[2]
2017-04-08-account-moves-t.png

[3]
2017-04-08-account-move-detail-for-invoice-t.png

[4]
2017-04-08-account-move-detail-for-payment-in-cash-of-sale-t.png

If you go into the journal entry, by clicking on any values in the Journal entry list, you would see the debit and credit entries

For other issues, you can view reports like trial balance, Accounts Receivables report etc

Hi @fabyc I have some previous experience in tryton so maybe i can give you some feedback about it:

Tryton is a fork from odoo at leas as version 6 or 7, so it handles account based in journals: (sales journal, stock journals, etc) as your question

if it is possible to configure ERPNext for creating automatically account moves like the list in

Of course the main different is that in erpnext all account moves are summarized in reports so the sales invoices doc types purchase invoices, journal entry’s creates an account move in the general ledger, while in the other erp they create a journal Voucher by itself, if you can code or you are whiling to invest time in erpnext maybe you could start by changing the default behavior of the on_submit, so it create a validated Joural Voucher for the doctypes you need to track.

In my experience you get the same amount of information by checking the GL Report group By the Voucher Number, as the other erp does.

Hi @Randy_Lowery,

if you can code or you are whiling to invest time in erpnext maybe you could start by changing the default behavior of the on_submit, so it create a validated Joural Voucher for the doctypes you need to track.

I just found ERPNext and I’m a newbie :slight_smile:. Is there some guide in where I can see in a simple way how it can be reached?

In my experience you get the same amount of information by checking the GL Report group By the Voucher Number, as the other erp does.

My accountant friend says me it is indispensable to have the register of the account move for every transaction as you understand. In ERPNext demo I can’t find all amount of information you are talking about. My friend asked me in where he can print any of the automatic account move when he wants. I hope in GL the printing could be done like is needed.

Is there some tutorial in where I can see how can I get that info?

Thank you for your very appreciable help

No there is not a simple way for that, there is always time or money invested in the learning process. You could start by learning java scrip basic, python, git hub version control and hours of code learning, or request assistance from a paid developer, what i can assure you is that after testing many open source erp for my business needs, I found this one as the most flexible, comfortable to use in my humble opinion, and i am newbie like you in the developing world.

Check out this sales invoice:

when posted, you can go to accounts > general ledger and group by the sales invoice number or click on the menu view > accounting ledger in the sales invoice doc page.

as you can see the report shows you all related information of the transaction, you can print or export that to a spread sheet like excel. As i stated before, erpnext do not create a new Journal Voucher for all posted transactions, but the report shows you a very detail information.

1 Like

Hi @Randy_Lowery

when posted, you can go to accounts > general ledger and group by the sales invoice number or click on the menu view > accounting ledger in the sales invoice doc page.

That’s really cool :slight_smile:. It is one of the points I’m looking for. I can see any of the account moves I want.

Where can I edit an account move? My accountant friend ask me about it because sometimes they’re needed to edit them.

Thanks

Hello @fabyc, I have the same concerns as you do and my accounting team is asking for the same information. Did you get a work around this? Are the reports enough to get the level of detail they are looking for? Any experience you can share will be appreciated.

Hi @wizard0207

The reports in core are OK, but regarding to the information I asked, it is needed to develop customized apps for all transactions generate its respective account move in journal entry. For now I’m testing the reports of core and it covers part of my need.

Thanks