Transaction on Product template

I know that ERPnext doesn’t support to make transaction such as; sales order, BOM, production order …etc, on the product template . However, in some industries eg; textile , it’s mandatory to make production order on the product template itself without the variants, then during receiving the finished good after production, it recorded the received variants.

Some of you will refuse that concept by claiming that the client will not be able to create the bom, as each variant has certain BOM, thus he will not be able to issue the exact bill of material. My answer, this is not the case in the textile industry, they needs to create production order on the main style including all the colors of the variants in the bom and during the receiving the finished good they specifiy the variants.

For example:

• Product Template Shirt001 in the production order.
  • produced Variants: Shirt001-XL-Red , Shirt001-L-Black
  • Bom related to the product template Shirt001 : Raw001- Red , Raw001- Black.

My question: what the issues and the consequences might happen if we handled customization to allow the transaction (Production Order and Sales order only) to be done on the product template?

How about this.

Create a BOM for the main items and receive that main Item itself, after production.

Create another repack entry to get main item consumed and get stock of finished product.

https://erpnext.org/docs/user/manual/en/stock/articles/repack-entry

1 Like

Many thanks for your idea. I have some questions;

• Do you mean by creating BOM for main item that means BOM for the template or the variant?
  • I assume at this idea, I’ll not be able to use the Production order at all, Am I right?
  • How can I add the operations costs?

Do you mean by creating BOM for main item that means BOM for the template or the variant?

BOM for the variant.

I assume at this idea, I’ll not be able to use the Production order at all, Am I right?

With variants BOM, you will be able to.

How can I add the operations costs?

Here is the help video on it.