Setting up / replacing chart of accounts

I am in the middle of 5 simultaneous implementations. All of the companies are VERY similar in their business structure and model. I am certain that their Chart of Accounts will be 90%+ common to each other.

I started the process by consulting a CPA with experience in Quickbooks and he gave me a generic CoA for US-based E-commerce companies, Then I did an implementation of a real company and was able to further improve the generic set. But it took HOURS of time and I didn’t want to spend that much time on every implementation. (I have 5 more now, but will have many, many more in just a few months.)

So I investigated charts.erpnext.com and taught myself how to build the CoA of my dreams. (It’s true, you can see it here! Beautiful, Right?) And that took hours and hours. But I got it done, successfully submitted and even downloaded the JSON.

When I got done, I thought OK, COOL. Now when I go through the initial setup process, I should hit a point where I can opt-out of the default CoA and link or browse over to this beautiful CoA that lovingly created by a caring father.

1. But there is no point where you can opt-out of the default CoA (at least that I could find).

2. And there doesn’t appear to be any way to insert it once the instance is created.

3. Further, I tried to go back to charts.erpnext.com and make some small edits to the CoA that I built, and it says that you have to fork it to edit. So I did that, and the fork has no resemblance to my original. It has a totally different structure and no account numbers.

Can anybody show me where I went wrong?

And if I didn’t go wrong, how can we fix this? I would happily support a project to get this fixed especially if it can happen quickly. This would be a great feature to add to v11. Think of the solid CoA’s we could offer around the world or by industry/business model.

4 Likes

+1 for that.

Meanwhile, as a workaround you can setup a site with the beautiful CoA and restore the database for every other new site. You can then make necessary changes like rename Company etc. to suite the new site.