Restore on new server

OK. After going though the ordeal of setting up a new server which finally got solved thanks to the wonderful help from the forum I am facing another issue.
When restoring from my old server I get an error: Table ‘962665711e0e6ff3.tabCustom DocPerm’ doesn’t exist

I am 100% sure that this happens because the ERP versions on the servers are different as the restore server if the latest version 8 and the other server is a previous version pulled from github about 3-4 months ago.

I’d like to upgrade the current server to version 8 then do the backup restore procedure. The issue is that I do not want to break anything so the question is:

Can I stop bench/frappe on my old server, copy the whole frappe-bench folder to another location as a backup and do not do any work on it. Run an upgrade on the working folder then backup and restore?

Just in case the upgrade fails I’d like to immediately restore the old folder. Is this possible or not?

I’d do a backup the traditional way with bench backup but I am not sure I can download the exact frappe/erpnext version from github again as the guy that set it up has done a terrible job…

@Fabrizio_Mazzoni

You are eight about the error happening due to different versions.

I just updated version 7.3 to 8 and the only issue I encountered was the following:

OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/psutil now this may have been only on my end but

I simply did pip install psutil re run the update and everything updated seamlessly.

I really would not worry about the update as its pretty stable now, before doing the update do a git status in your frappe & erpnext folders to see if there are any changes on your end that don’t match up. Otherwise you are good to go.

I actually would not recommend replacing folders as you have suggested,

Thanks. Even though you do not recommend the folder procedure, would this work?

Welcome, I don’t think it will work because the DB will have changed as well