Paying and cost for shipping

How do you guys enter shipping payments into the system. For example:

1. I’ve added a shipping cost to my Delivery Note. I can charge my customer. But how do I record the fact that I gave fedex cash to ship my order. and/or how would I add that to an A/P that I have to pay later on?
  2. Is there a way to distinguish how much I charge my customer and how much I actually pay? for example I may have a standard shipping rate but my actual is different(usually by weight).
  3. I would like to create a report on shipping I received and shipping I paid.

Nathan

Hello Nathan,

You can try using Landed cost Voucher

https://frappe.github.io/erpnext/user/manual/en/stock/tools/landed-cost-voucher

Some customization may be required for Report generation.

Hope this helps.

Replies below.

1. I’ve added a shipping cost to my Delivery Note. I can charge my customer. But how do I record the fact that I gave fedex cash to ship my order. and/or how would I add that to an A/P that I have to pay later on?

If you are adding shipping charges in the Delivery Note and Sales Invoice, it will be added to the total. It means that Customer will be paying for that Shipping.

Can you please elaborate who actually pays for the shipping?

For updating payable, you should create Purchase Invoice for shipping agent.

1. Is there a way to distinguish how much I charge my customer and how much I actually pay? for example I may have a standard shipping rate but my actual is different(usually by weight).

You can maintain your different Expense Account for shipping. Account of Standard Pricing should be selected in the sales transactions. Account based on weight should be selected in the Purchase Invoice.

1. I would like to create a report on shipping I received and shipping I paid.

Or perhaps you can use common account. Credit posting in the shipping account would paid by customer. Credit would mean paid by you via Purchase Invoice. Do try each scenario to check what gives you best results.