Multilingual item description

Is there a way how to maintain item descriptions in multiple languages/item?



You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/c8f2e6f5-2bdc-4c9a-aaae-1640ced7d4c2%40googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

1 Like
Hello Robert,

Welcome to forum!

For now, item Description can be maintained in the one language only. You can create multiple Items, each with description in other language. For itemwise stock balance report, you can group these actually-same-but-multiple-items into one Item Group and check Stock Balance report for Item Groups.


On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Robert Carnecky <ro...@neopsis.com> wrote:
Is there a way how to maintain item descriptions in multiple languages/item?



You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/c8f2e6f5-2bdc-4c9a-aaae-1640ced7d4c2%40googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.





Thanks and Regards,

Umair Sayyed
www.erpnext.com
For now it's no-go criteria for our company as we are created quotations in 8-10 languages and we are not willing to maintain so much items. Any plans to add multiple languages here? 



On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:56:55 AM UTC+2, Umair Sayyed wrote:
Hello Robert,

Welcome to forum!

For now, item Description can be maintained in the one language only. You can create multiple Items, each with description in other language. For itemwise stock balance report, you can group these actually-same-but-multiple-items into one Item Group and check Stock Balance report for Item Groups.


On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Robert Carnecky <ro...@neopsis.com> wrote:
Is there a way how to maintain item descriptions in multiple languages/item?



You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/c8f2e6f5-2bdc-4c9a-aaae-1640ced7d4c2%40googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.





Thanks and Regards,

Umair Sayyed
www.erpnext.com



You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/a32abeae-6240-4184-9282-0918b25dea45%40googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Robert,

We have received this feature suggestion from other user as well.

https://github.com/frappe/erpnext/issues/1981

+1 from you on issue suggestion will surely raise its priority.



On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Robert Carnecky <ro...@neopsis.com> wrote:
For now it's no-go criteria for our company as we are created quotations in 8-10 languages and we are not willing to maintain so much items. Any plans to add multiple languages here?



On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:56:55 AM UTC+2, Umair Sayyed wrote:
Hello Robert,

Welcome to forum!

For now, item Description can be maintained in the one language only. You can create multiple Items, each with description in other language. For itemwise stock balance report, you can group these actually-same-but-multiple-items into one Item Group and check Stock Balance report for Item Groups.


On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Robert Carnecky <ro...@neopsis.com> wrote:
Is there a way how to maintain item descriptions in multiple languages/item?



You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/c8f2e6f5-2bdc-4c9a-aaae-1640ced7d4c2%40googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.





Thanks and Regards,

Umair Sayyed
www.erpnext.com



You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/a32abeae-6240-4184-9282-0918b25dea45%40googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.



--
Thanks and Regards,
Umair Sayyed
www.erpnext.com

Hello guys, I realize this is an old thread, but I think the content is still relevant. I have read the link that was posted above with the github discussion. There, it is suggested that the issue is solved by implementing the “custom translation” solution. However, as another user rightfully mentioned, it’s a basic solution that’s not really compatible with the dynamic nature of the content. E.g. if the article_name changes, then the translation would no longer be connected and hard to find and maintain.

There was also a followup suggestion to implement a better solution to handle translations better. Our company would be willing to contribute financially, with the help of other interested parties, to get this implemented into ERPnext. I think this is more relevant than you think. Especially in Europe there are a lot of bilingual and even trilingual countries but also small countries that do business in neighbouring countries (with a different language), all of which would benefit greatly from this feature.

I’d like to see it more like a wordpress+qtranslate-x approach - translations should be handled at product/item/article/webpage/[enter entity here] level. Each product for example, will have the default language (selected system language). On the product edit page, a button “add language” should be present - then a tab will become available with the selected language. tab.Onclick will change all form elements (description, name, etc…) to the selected language, where we can add localized text.

Is there a way to let us know how much such a feature would cost? I realize the scope of this is huge so it won’t be as simple as coming up with the idea. But nevertheless, an estimate would give us an indication of how feasible this would be to finance. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @Laurens,

also a +1 from me on this issue.

This is a must have for a mature ERP-system today. If you want to play in the Ivy-League then the system must support multiple languages in a structured way as you described.

As the initiator of this thread, I must say that we still do not use ERPnext due to missing multilingual product descriptions. We are located in Switzerland, where we have three official languages in one country! We just cannot send a quotation in German to our French speaking customers. This feature is for us more important than the multilingual user interface. I can hire employees capable of working with English ERPnext environment, but I cannot force the customer to handle documents in other than their native language.

3 Likes

Hello,

I’m also looking for an ERP matching my needs, and currently I’m reviewing Odoo, Tryton and ERPNext.
So far, my preference goes for ERPNext, but this lack of website mulitlingual ability is also a no-go reason. Pity, as the rest seems to be very promising.

I’ll go on testing the solution, and if everything else is ok, I would be happy to contribute financially to this feature. If we all share the cost, it should be quite reasonnable.

Also a +1 from me on this issue.

Hello,

Any update on this issue?
Implementing such feature would defenitevely increase the adoption of ERPNext.
WHo’s still having a webshop in only one language?

@Laurens to get an idea about costs fir developing functionality you could post a freelance job, leave the budget empty and ask for quotations/estimats. Based on that you can start thinking about whom you can get aboard to share thise costs with (seems there are other users looking for that as well)

Hello!
+1 from me!
Multilingual public site is a valuable and important capability for my partners!

Would entering all required language description in the same field not work? Just an idea

+1 also here, really really important.

1 Like

Is there any way to do multilingual Website/Webshop? The github issues are all closed, but I think it is still not possible?!

1 Like

Please visit this thread, it is about the same issue. We already have a working prototype. Any comments would be welcome!

@Idat-Consulting, good point about the ‘Is translatable’ Field-Property. This would be required in order to target which field can be translated.

2 Likes

I definitely agree with you. We’re from Finland and we must give offers and have items in Finnish and Swedish and normally many webstores would like to have also items in English in order to get a wider audience than our small country.

I will close this so conversation can focus on the above mentioned please and thanks