Quick Version Bulk goods in the warehouse, of about 1000 varieties, repackaged for retail, using different units of measure. (KG to grams, or ounces. SOMETIMES to “count”) - can I do this without needing thousands of BOMs, possibly with “variants?”
Longer Version Hi there! To start - I’m a beginner with ERPNext and ERP in general, but am a sysadmin, so at least a bit familiar with structured systems.
I’m testing out ERPNext for a propsal for a dry goods retail & wholesale company. To avoid being specific, I’ll use a fake example - nails, screws, nuts, bolts, washers, grommets!
The company buys nails/screws/etc in bulk - measured in the warehouse by KG. Then, they are packaged into smaller boxes (of several sizes) for sale. At first, I thought “repack” was the way to go, but it seems like BOM and manufacturing may be the best way. I imagine the following example “Items”
Warehouse / Raw
- Steel Nails, Galvanized, by KG
- Brass washers, size 040, by KG
- Screws, machine, size 22, by KG
Steel Nails, galvanized
- Steel Nails, gavanized: Box - 20 grams
- Steel Nails, gavanized: Box - 100 grams
- Steel Nails, gavanized: Box - 50 count
Brass Washers, size 040
- Brass Washers, size 040: Box - 20 grams
- Brass Washers, size 040: Box - 100 grams
- Brass Washers, size 040: Box - 50 count
- Steel Nails, galvanized
In the actual implementation, there would be maybe 1000 different items. (And unlike screws, etc, it wouldb’t be 20 variants of screw, it would be only a few variants of each, and probably 500 different base items)
So, as my first understanding of this is - to “repack” the raw Nails to be a box (measured in grams) - I’d want to use manufacturing, which means a BOM.
But, with ~1000 items, this would be ~1000 BOMs. What I’m wondering is: Can I create a “base” item for each, which would be like shown:
- “Base Item:” Hardware, Raw (by KG)"
- Variant: Nails, Raw (by KG)
- Variant: Screws, Raw (by KG)
- … (500 more of these)
- “Base Item”: Hardware, Boxed for retail 20g
- Variant: Nails, Boxed for retail 20g
- Variant: Screws, Boxed for retail 20g
- “Base Item”: Hardware, Boxed for retail 100g
- Variant: Nails, Boxed for retail 100g
- Variant: Screws, Boxed for retail 100g
In other words, could I do this and only have (for the above) 3 BOMs, for the three sizes of packaged good? But have “inhereted” items that used that BOM? So I don’t have to create ~1000 BOMs, each containing conversions from KG to gram, etc?
Or, is there another way to fairly simply implement this?
I’m happy to answer more questions or clarify?