We are getting started with ERPnext (migrating from a different system) and need to import existing assets.
I went through all documentation, discuss posts etc. I can find on this topic but I can’t get it the import correctly. It seems the Asset module still contains some serious bugs for adding existing assets (or I am not using the system correctly). As this is probably a rather rare task (uploading existing, partially depreciated assets), I guess this has not come to anyone’s attention?!
This is the rough workflow I followed:
- Importing the Assets via Data Import with “Calculate Depreciation” = 0 and “Is Existing Asset” = 1, and the respective amount for “Opening Accumulated Depreciation”
- Entering the Gross Purchase Amount for past Available-for-use and Purchase Dates.
- Selecting “Calculate Depreciation” and “Allow Monthly Depreciation”, adding “Number of Depreciations Booked”
- Adding Finance book details (Depreciation method etc.), setting “Expected Value After Useful Life” = 0
- Saving the Draft. Then ERPnext computes the depreciation schedule gets automatically. The schedule looks fine. The first bug is, that the “Depreciation Posting Date” is empty again and the “Value After Depreciation” is a wrong number (should be 0 in my understanding).
- I add the missing “Depreciation Posting Date” and save the Draft. After saving, the “Expected Value After Useful Life” is changed (in my case to exactly the amount of the “Opening Accumulated Depreciation” ) and thus the depreciation schedule is somehow changed to meet the new “Expected Value After Useful Life”. I can fix the “Expected Value After Useful Life” again and set it to 0. If I save the Draft again it will add another time the “Opening Accumulated Depreciation” to it and so on. I don’t see any way to keep the right depreciation schedule for future depreciations.
Did anyone in the community upload existing, partially depreciated assets before and how did they do it? Does anyone see a mistake in my workflow?
Your help is highly appreciated. I spent several days trying to upload our assets to ERPnext, can’t find a solution and start to wonder whether the Asset module can actually do it properly…