Handling Bale Packing In ERPNext

Hi,

I am currently running a textile company where I receive goods from my supplier in meters. This is then packed into bales and kept in stock. Each bale is uniquely recognized by a bale no and could consists of any number of meters ranging from 300m to 600m. I receive and dispactch sales orders in terms of bales only but my invoice is based on number of meters in a bale.

An example: 
Quality X 2000 meters of batch no 15(say) received from supplier A on 26/05/2013
Quality X repacked into 5 bales of 451m, 449m, 402m, 398m, 300m. Each given a unique number say 123 to 127.
These bales are dispatched to various customers based on orders received in June.

Currently I am having an issue of representing my stock in bales as I cannot pass a stock entry as it picks up a fixed UOM conversion entered in the item details. In my case a bale can consists of any number of meters. 

One way of handling the issue according to my analysis, could be to create a doctype consisting of batch no, bale no, meters. Now for each sales order, while creating a delivery note a bale no reference is attached which provides the number of meters to be invoiced for. Also each bale no will have a delivery note reference and bales that do not have a bale no reference are available for dispatch. Though this is just one approach, I am looking for suggestions to handle bale packing in a more easier fashion.

Looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks in advance

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Jyot,

here is a solution:

1. You have to create separate items for X and Bale (XBALE).
2. Bale must have UOM as NOS and must be Serialized.
3. You have to do a repacking process from X (-451m) to XBALE (+1) using Stock Entry, in the Serial Number, set the meters in that bale for that item.
4. deliver your bales using Delivery Note.

Making Custom DocTypes should be the last possible resort as it gets harder to maintain them with time.

best,
Rushabh

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Jyot Talreja <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I am currently running a textile company where I receive goods from my supplier in meters. This is then packed into bales and kept in stock. Each bale is uniquely recognized by a bale no and could consists of any number of meters ranging from 300m to 600m. I receive and dispactch sales orders in terms of bales only but my invoice is based on number of meters in a bale.

An example:
Quality X 2000 meters of batch no 15(say) received from supplier A on 26/05/2013
Quality X repacked into 5 bales of 451m, 449m, 402m, 398m, 300m. Each given a unique number say 123 to 127.
These bales are dispatched to various customers based on orders received in June.

Currently I am having an issue of representing my stock in bales as I cannot pass a stock entry as it picks up a fixed UOM conversion entered in the item details. In my case a bale can consists of any number of meters.

One way of handling the issue according to my analysis, could be to create a doctype consisting of batch no, bale no, meters. Now for each sales order, while creating a delivery note a bale no reference is attached which provides the number of meters to be invoiced for. Also each bale no will have a delivery note reference and bales that do not have a bale no reference are available for dispatch. Though this is just one approach, I am looking for suggestions to handle bale packing in a more easier fashion.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

Hi Rushabh,

Many thanks for the suggestion. While the solution solves the problem partly, the important to note is I sell my goods to the clients in terms of number of meters. So while making the delivery note: the price of the bale depends on the number of meters it contains and hence i cannot use the pricelist feature or decide a price of a bale.

Secondly, Tally ERP 9 provides a facility of compound units/multi units. I havent done a deep dive into what tally offers: Invoicing and Accounting with TallyPrime | Tally Solutions

The key here is while i have inventory in bales, my sale is in meters. While your suggest solves my representation in inventory, managing my sales is difficult as everytime i sell a bale i need to manually calculate its value (serial no (that is no of meters) * rate per meter). 

Please could you suggest how to manage my delivery note creation without creating a doctype.

Thanks,
Jyot

On Wednesday, 29 May 2013 12:48:21 UTC+5:30, Rushabh Mehta wrote:
Jyot,

here is a solution:

3. You have to do a repacking process from X (-451m) to XBALE (+1) using Stock Entry, in the Serial Number, set the meters in that bale for that item.

Making Custom DocTypes should be the last possible resort as it gets harder to maintain them with time.

best,
Rushabh

Hi,

An example: 

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

To futher clarify, bale is just like a reference for certain number of meters in inventory that are sold to customers based on their orders. So say bale no 123 in inventory corresponds to 400.5 meters of quality z from batch x. When I make my delivery note, my client should be billed based on number of meters based on the bale reference.

On Thursday, 30 May 2013 22:31:12 UTC+5:30, Jyot Talreja wrote:
Hi Rushabh,

Many thanks for the suggestion. While the solution solves the problem partly, the important to note is I sell my goods to the clients in terms of number of meters. So while making the delivery note: the price of the bale depends on the number of meters it contains and hence i cannot use the pricelist feature or decide a price of a bale.

Secondly, Tally ERP 9 provides a facility of compound units/multi units. I havent done a deep dive into what tally offers: http://www.tallysolutions.com/website/html/tallyerp9/functions-specialneeds-multi-units.php

The key here is while i have inventory in bales, my sale is in meters. While your suggest solves my representation in inventory, managing my sales is difficult as everytime i sell a bale i need to manually calculate its value (serial no (that is no of meters) * rate per meter). 

Please could you suggest how to manage my delivery note creation without creating a doctype.

Thanks,
Jyot

Jyot,

here is a solution:

best,
Rushabh

Hi,

An example: 

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

Did not understand how Tally understands it either, let me know if you figure out.

Sometimes the solution likes outside the system. For example, why not standardize the no of mtrs in a bale, this kind of standardisation will help you in other places either and also give you a better idea of your inventory. You can have various Item codes for Bale like Bale 400, Bale 410, Bale 420 etc... It may not have exact meters, but you can price it as an average. For example Bale 400 may have anywhere between 395 - 405 mtrs...

I know your answer will be "but this is not the way the industry works" -- well, sometimes you need to question that.

In the user manual, I have a chapter on this - repeatability and profitability (unfortunately not linkable, but that should 
change soon). 

Do give it a thought.

best,
Rushabh

W: https://erpnext.com
T: @rushabh_mehta

On 30-May-2013, at 10:46 PM, Jyot Talreja <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:

To futher clarify, bale is just like a reference for certain number of meters in inventory that are sold to customers based on their orders. So say bale no 123 in inventory corresponds to 400.5 meters of quality z from batch x. When I make my delivery note, my client should be billed based on number of meters based on the bale reference.

Hi Rushabh,

Secondly, Tally ERP 9 provides a facility of compound units/multi units. I havent done a deep dive into what tally offers: http://www.tallysolutions.com/website/html/tallyerp9/functions-specialneeds-multi-units.php

Thanks,
Jyot

Jyot,

here is a solution:

best,
Rushabh

Hi,

An example: 

Hi Rushabh,

I have explored a little and observed how a couple of ERPs are handling the issue. In the stock entry, we can add two custom fields Alternate Quantity and Alternate UOM and for goods packed as bale, we make the following entry:

Quality X -405m
Quality X Bale +1 which is serialized as per the bale no which will have alternate UOM as meters and alternate quantity as 405.

Now while making the delivery note, we would require the software to pull the values of alternate quantity and alternate UOM from the stock entry. And the rate of the item could be specified in either of the UOMs (base or alternate).

Example: Delivery Note

Quality Batch  Serial No Alternate Qty Alternate UOM Rate Rate UOM
Quality X 1523 32616 405 Mtr 45 Mtr

Please let me know how could I go about writing the script for the delivery note/sales invoice and stock entry customization.

Thanks

On Friday, 31 May 2013 11:10:54 UTC+5:30, Rushabh Mehta wrote:
Did not understand how Tally understands it either, let me know if you figure out.

Sometimes the solution likes outside the system. For example, why not standardize the no of mtrs in a bale, this kind of standardisation will help you in other places either and also give you a better idea of your inventory. You can have various Item codes for Bale like Bale 400, Bale 410, Bale 420 etc... It may not have exact meters, but you can price it as an average. For example Bale 400 may have anywhere between 395 - 405 mtrs...

I know your answer will be "but this is not the way the industry works" -- well, sometimes you need to question that.

In the user manual, I have a chapter on this - repeatability and profitability (unfortunately not linkable, but that should 
change soon). 

Do give it a thought.

best,
Rushabh

Hi Rushabh,

Thanks,
Jyot

Jyot,

here is a solution:

best,
Rushabh

Hi,

An example: 

Hi Jyot,
You can definitely handle the issue by "Alternate Qty" and "Alternate UOM" and maintaining price list against them. But it needs a lot of changes if we want to fit it into the standard product.
If you have a background in coding, you can do the customization yourself. Otherwise, you can get it done from any third party developer, who have a good experience in doing customization in erpnext.
To start with coding, check "get_item_details" function in selling.doctype.sales_common.sales_common.py file. Here you will find the code for fetching the rate as per price list.

Regards,
Nabin Hait

On 01-Jun-2013, at 7:14 PM, Jyot Talreja wrote:

Hi Rushabh,

I have explored a little and observed how a couple of ERPs are handling the issue. In the stock entry, we can add two custom fields Alternate Quantity and Alternate UOM and for goods packed as bale, we make the following entry:

Quality X -405m
Quality X Bale +1 which is serialized as per the bale no which will have alternate UOM as meters and alternate quantity as 405.

Now while making the delivery note, we would require the software to pull the values of alternate quantity and alternate UOM from the stock entry. And the rate of the item could be specified in either of the UOMs (base or alternate).

Please let me know how could I go about writing the script for the delivery note/sales invoice and stock entry customization.

Thanks

change soon). 

Do give it a thought.

best,
Rushabh

Hi Rushabh,

Thanks,
Jyot

Jyot,

here is a solution:

best,
Rushabh

Hi,

An example: 

Hi Nabin,

I will try to code it myself (have a computer science background). Will post if I need some help. Many thanks.

Jyot

On Monday, 3 June 2013 11:20:24 UTC+5:30, Nabin Hait wrote:
Hi Jyot,
You can definitely handle the issue by “Alternate Qty” and “Alternate UOM” and maintaining price list against them. But it needs a lot of changes if we want to fit it into the standard product.
If you have a background in coding, you can do the customization yourself. Otherwise, you can get it done from any third party developer, who have a good experience in doing customization in erpnext.
To start with coding, check “get_item_details” function in selling.doctype.sales_common.sales_common.py file. Here you will find the code for fetching the rate as per price list.

Regards,
Nabin Hait

Hi Rushabh,

Quality X -405m

Thanks

change soon). 

Do give it a thought.

best,
Rushabh

Hi Rushabh,

Thanks,
Jyot

Jyot,

here is a solution:

best,
Rushabh

Hi,

An example: 

Best of luck! And feel free to post in forum if you stuck anywhere.

On 05-Jun-2013, at 11:28 AM, Jyot Talreja wrote:

Hi Nabin,

I will try to code it myself (have a computer science background). Will post if I need some help. Many thanks.

Jyot

On Monday, 3 June 2013 11:20:24 UTC+5:30, Nabin Hait wrote:
Hi Jyot,
You can definitely handle the issue by "Alternate Qty" and "Alternate UOM" and maintaining price list against them. But it needs a lot of changes if we want to fit it into the standard product.
To start with coding, check "get_item_details" function in selling.doctype.sales_common.sales_common.py file. Here you will find the code for fetching the rate as per price list.

Regards,
Nabin Hait

Hi Rushabh,

Quality X -405m

Thanks

change soon). 

Do give it a thought.

best,
Rushabh

Hi Rushabh,

Thanks,
Jyot

Jyot,

here is a solution:

best,
Rushabh

Hi,

An example: 

Hi Jyot

I am also into fabrics and have got the same issue. If you have resolved this issue, then please share it with me.

Thanks
Kunal

Isn’t there a way to have/create a child-list of bale no. under Batch No. for selection of that particular bale since each bale is of different quantity. So First we select the Item, then the Batch and then Bale nos.

@nabin @talrejajyot @rmehta
Isn’t there a way to have/create a child-list of bale no. under Batch No. for selection of that particular bale since each bale is of different quantity. So First we select the Item, then the Batch and then Bale nos.

Please post this as a new topic or better feature request at Issues · frappe/erpnext · GitHub