Greetings ERPNext community
I have been developing a provision for Putaway in ERPNext and would love to get your feedback on it. Before that, let’s understand its concept first.
What is Putaway ?
- Putaway is the process of assigning storage locations to stock that enters your Warehouse/Location.
- The stock arrives at your Warehouse/Location and you are suggested where to store it, automatically. You can look at it as the opposite of a Pick List.
- This is particularly useful when locations within a large Warehouse are tracked separately and each location has its own capacity.
- A Putaway strategy or rule forms the basis of this operation.
Where is this applicable in ERPNext ?
- Putaway Rules are applicable when you are receiving stock i.e. in Purchase Receipt and Stock Entry
- As of now Putaway is only applicable on the following Stock Entry types : Material Receipt and Material Transfer
How do I strategise Putaways in ERPNext ?
A Putaway strategy or rule forms the basis of this operation.
Keeping this in mind, ERPNext has a DocType called Putaway Rule.
- You can go over to Stock > Stock Transaction > Putaway Rule via desk or search for “Putaway Rule” in the awesomebar.
- Create a new rule that is recorded company-wise.
- You must set a capacity here. The UOM field is optional.
- You can also assign priorities to your rules, with the highest priority being 1.
- The rule is unique to each Item-Warehouse combination.
Now that you have created rules for your Items and Warehouse, the last step is applying the rule.
Wait, what Putaway strategy does ERPNext consider ?
- Here the strategy is purely based on Capacity and Priority.
- Warehouses will be auto assigned until they reach full capacity.
- Priority will be considered first. Followed by free space. When two rules have the same priority, the one with more free space available will be assigned.
- If you are running at full capacity (no free space in any Warehouse) you will be prompted the same.
How and where are these rules applied ?
If you head over to a Purchase Receipt or Stock Entry (of type Material Receipt/Transfer) you will see a checkbox called ‘Apply Putaway Rule’
After adding items to the Items table, you can check this checkbox and the Items will be auto-assigned to Warehouses based on your Putaway Rules.
The rules are applied on Save as well if Apply Putaway Rule is enabled.
The Pull Request for this feature is open on Github. You can find a working GIF and explore some more features on the Pull Request.
Can I test it ?
Yes! You can pull this fork in your local instance and migrate your site.
If you don’t know what i said here or don’t want to do it, you can test it on the public site. Follow these steps:
Please feel free to give feedback in the thread below.
Edit: Login is more frictionless now.