Feature detail request - attachment size and/or flexible file share area

First time poster, new to ERPnext…

We’ve only been using the system for a month or so, but have run up against the attachment size limitation several times. We’re a company of under 10 people, so amassing many GB of attachments is quite unlikely.  But we frequently use PDF files with parts manifests etc., and they can run up to a few MB each.  I realize that any attachments in a hosted instance become part of the database, and as such are part of the backup process and increase overhead.  

So my question has two parts:
Is there any way to raise the limit to 3MB per attachment?  And if this is impossible, any way to use the Knowledge Base as a place to store commonly-accessed files, likely no more than a few hundred MB worth in total…  perhaps an upload area which is excluded from scheduled backups?
I like the simplicity and turnkey flexibility the hosted solution provides, but our ability to truly leverage the system would be helped tremendously by some rudimentary file management. 
Thanks in advance for any assistance and/or ideas…

Tim Baker

Hi Tim,

We actually do not store the attachments in the database exactly for the reason of the backup bloat. We however do have one backup (on our mirror) of the attachments.

You are right files are so far not our strength. As a quick fix we could raise the limit to 3MB (I think 3 should be fine). We are also building a way you can download all your uploaded files at one time (for backup). There is also a file manager on my to-do list that will let you manage all your files (can't promise when).

Thanks for your encouragement, and welcome to the community!

best,
Rushabh

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 11:49 PM, Tim <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
First time poster, new to ERPnext..

We've only been using the system for a month or so, but have run up against the attachment size limitation several times. We're a company of under 10 people, so amassing many GB of attachments is quite unlikely. But we frequently use PDF files with parts manifests etc., and they can run up to a few MB each. I realize that any attachments in a hosted instance become part of the database, and as such are part of the backup process and increase overhead.

Is there any way to raise the limit to 3MB per attachment? And if this is impossible, any way to use the Knowledge Base as a place to store commonly-accessed files, likely no more than a few hundred MB worth in total.. perhaps an upload area which is excluded from scheduled backups?
I like the simplicity and turnkey flexibility the hosted solution provides, but our ability to truly leverage the system would be helped tremendously by some rudimentary file management.
Thanks in advance for any assistance and/or ideas...

Tim Baker

Thank you for the amazingly quick response.

Yes, I'd be very grateful if the upload size were increased. I'm sure you know better than I that getting staff to adopt a new ERP system is challenging enough without adding more roadblocks in their path.
Cranky users = Bad.

In the meantime I'll wait patiently for the file management module!

Tim

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 2:03 AM, Rushabh Mehta <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Tim,

We actually do not store the attachments in the database exactly for the reason of the backup bloat. We however do have one backup (on our mirror) of the attachments.

You are right files are so far not our strength. As a quick fix we could raise the limit to 3MB (I think 3 should be fine). We are also building a way you can download all your uploaded files at one time (for backup). There is also a file manager on my to-do list that will let you manage all your files (can't promise when).

Thanks for your encouragement, and welcome to the community!

best,
Rushabh

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 11:49 PM, Tim <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:

First time poster, new to ERPnext…

We've only been using the system for a month or so, but have run up against the attachment size limitation several times. We're a company of under 10 people, so amassing many GB of attachments is quite unlikely. But we frequently use PDF files with parts manifests etc., and they can run up to a few MB each. I realize that any attachments in a hosted instance become part of the database, and as such are part of the backup process and increase overhead.

Is there any way to raise the limit to 3MB per attachment? And if this is impossible, any way to use the Knowledge Base as a place to store commonly-accessed files, likely no more than a few hundred MB worth in total.. perhaps an upload area which is excluded from scheduled backups?
Thanks in advance for any assistance and/or ideas...

Tim Baker