ERPNext in New Zealand

Do we have any users in New Zealand? I am trying a few partnership opportunities and the biggest thing I hear is, how is ERPNext different from Xero.

Question to our New Zealand users: Why did you pick ERPNext over Xero? What does ERPNext do that Xero does not? What does Xero do well that ERPNext better do as well if ERPNext has a chance of penetrating the ANZ market.

Thanks

Jay

Xero is mainly used for accounting and inventory. It’s not a complete ERP solution.

Accounts like Xero because it fetches your bank statement in your xero account. It makes payment reconciliation against invoices very simple. This feature (importing bank statement) is also on our road map (no tentative date). But xero doesn’t have other modules like CRM, purchasing, manufacturing, support, HR, Project etc.

2 Likes

Thanks. I heard they opened up thier API and there are a bunch of apps that are available right now, that may have plugged many of those gaps.

Here’s a small comparison chart I put together. Community: Please feel free to weigh in.

6 Likes

This is a good start. Same comparison would apply with Quickbooks online, which is more common in North America. Even though there is some overlap, you are really comparing apples and oranges. They are different solutions for different needs. They can also be used together, which is yet another alternative. There is an integration being developed between QBO and Erpnext, which is almost ready. Having said all that, there are other differences. Erpnext can be deployed in-house, or in the cloud, or moved from the cloud to in-house (or virtial/private server). For Xero there is only 1 option - in the cloud. So, you are limited in terms of what you can customize, no direct access to database etc. There are also different industry solutions being developed for Erpnext, like schools, property managemernt etc, which are also free and opensource, which would be comparable to add-ons in Xero ecosystem which can get very expensive. Some are vertical and some are horizontal. In general the lower the number of integrations that you have to deal with the less complicated the solution will be. Whenever you have data moving back and forth, there are always potential issues with synchronization. With erpnext, there are usually less seams involved.
You might also want to do a sample cost of software comparison. Compare Erpnext, cloud deployment to Xero, with all the same add-on modules for a given number of users (say 5 for example). Labour is something else to consider. You might want to use some real world examples for a few sample companies.