Document Scanner Integration with ERPNext

Hello Community

I am looking to integrate a scanner with ERPNext in the same way as a camera is integrated. The use case is to scan and store documents in a doctype. To make the requirement clearer, there are multiple documents with multiple pages (up to 50 each) to be scanned and stored each day.

Just wondering if anyone has done it before and can advise the best way to do it. If I can get a generic solution that would be good, otherwise any scanner-specific solution will also work for us as scanning and storing documents is a hard requirement.

Would appreciate any relevant inputs.

I use an iPad. Use Scanner Pro to make the scan (Scanner Pro can also do OCR on the scan), and then use split screen to drag and drop the scanned pdf document from iPad to an ERPNext Document as File Attachment. I wish ERPNext would better integrate with scanning functionalities on phones as opposed to just taking a picture.

1 Like

You might want to check out NAPS2 (Not Another PDF Scanner 2). It’s a free, open-source scanning tool that’s compatible with ERPNext. It allows you to scan documents directly into PDF format and then easily upload them into ERPNext. It’s user-friendly and supports multi-page scanning, which seems perfect for your needs.
For more advanced solutions, check out this ID Verification API, which can scan and print the documents right away. I personally use it, and I’m very satisfied with the service. Hope this helps!

@Maheshwari_Bhavesh I did but not with scanner, but with Multifunctional printers like Xerox or Lexmark!

Those printers allow networking commands making superb to deal, and they can send the scanned files to email, that can be an email connected to ERPNEXT

Thanks @max_morais_dmm .

I have done it through email but different way.

I have created 2 new doctypes:

1. Scanner
  • In this doctype, we define the scanner number and its status, which can either be available or engaged.
  1. Scan
  • Here, when any user requests a scan, one entry will be created and will wait for an email to receive the document.
  • During the waiting time, the scanner will be marked as engaged, and no one else from the system can use it.
  • Once the document is received, we use Frappe realtime to notify the user that their document scan is ready and attached where they wanted it. They can then verify it.

Here is how I implemented it, and since the video is a bit long, so use a playback speed of 2 to save time.