Connection from web refused after successful install

Hi guys,

I just finished installing ERPNext using the easy installer from here:

The install process seemed to have completed successfully. I got the message saying:

Frappe/ERPNext is installed successfully and is running on port 80.

…but when I try to access the server ip on my browser, it says the connection is refused. What did I miss?

by the way, this is on a DigitalOcean vm… tried it in Ubuntu 14.04 and CentOS 7. Same result.

Hope someone can point me to the right direction.

Thanks!

Could it be NGINX? Hope someone out there who has tried this on DigitalOcean can share how he did it.

This is exactly the same issue I’m having. I already tried on Google Cloud and AWS. I tried using Ubuntu 14.04

Any suggestions?

@Nimrod

Hello.

Do you have a conf file on the following path?

/etc/nginx/conf.d

no, I don’t. But there are config files in
/home/username/frappe-bench/config/

and the nginx config in there seems to be the one used by the bench-frappe.

I’m new to nginx and this bench-frappe myself. Even python. So I really don’t have any idea how these things work. I’ve only worked on php, served by Apache directly.

Yup, same here. I think maybe some files of nginx are missing on that path.

I also used the easy install on GitHub - frappe/bench: CLI to manage Multi-tenant deployments for Frappe apps

No errors returned on installation, but I get the following error when trying to access ERPNext.

anyone?

@william, I ended up using Docker. I was able to get a successful and working install with it. Here’s what I did:

1. Spun a CentOS 7.1 (64bit) droplet at digitalocean
  2. Added 4Gb swap ( https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-add-swap-on-centos-7 )
  3. Created a new user and added it to the sudoers/wheel group
  4. Using the new user, installed Docker following these instructions: Install Docker Engine on CentOS | Docker Documentation
  5. Still using the non-root user, installed this ERPNext Docker image: Docker (I just followed the instructions, the 3 commands given there)

Hope this also helps anyone who comes across this.

Thanks @Nimrod

Can you please tell me what version of ERPNext / Frappe did that Docker image installed?

That one is still V5.xx of ERPNext… I just finished installing and trying this one, which is closest to the latest right now (v6.21): Docker

So far, it works!

6.21 was working fine with me.

Hope someone from the ERPNext team can address this.

Thanks again @Nimrod

@Nimrod @william sorry for this, fixed now.

Hi @rmehta, thanks. But I think there may still be something lacking… file permissions maybe?

Here’s what I get after trying the installer again:

@Nimrod looks like if the css didn’t load, can you check the browser’s console for any javascript error.

That’s right, it didn’t load. The server is not serving them to the client.

That’s why I think it could be a file permissions issue.

Anyway, I’ve destroyed that droplet already. I’ve already spent too much time trying to get this install to work. I’m already working with the 6.21 install that I got working here now. Just gonna stick with it for now until the latest installer is fixed.

Thanks

Everything working fine now @rmehta

Thanks again!

Did you have to do anything else @william?

I’m still interested in having a direct installation, not one that’s inside a docker container. I think it’s easier to maintain it without having to deal with docker.

@Nimrod

Just did the easy install GitHub - frappe/bench: CLI to manage Multi-tenant deployments for Frappe apps

Using ubuntu 14.04 on Google Cloud, worked like a charm.

Thanks.

Tried it with Ubuntu now and it works.

I checked the file permissions of the installation on CentOS and compared it with the one on Ubuntu. They are very much different. I guess this is why it doesn’t work on CentOS, the installer for CentOS maybe does not set the correct permissions.

While looking at the correctly working install, I see that most of the files have the 664 permissions and the folders have 775. I tried changing everything in the frappe-bench folder with these permissions…but when I restarted the server, I get bad gateway error from nginx. I guess some of the files and folders should be left as they are. But it would be too much of a hassle to check for these one by one.

Would be nice to get the CentOS installer to work. I noticed that CentOS is faster than Ubuntu in DigitalOcean. Hope the ERPNext team can look into this.

Great @Nimrod

Always opted for CentOS but could never installed it successfully using the easy install, so I changed to Ubuntu.

Glad it worked!

Cheers.

@Nimrod CentOS works well too, we use it all the time

Btw, we are working on new Ansible scripts, hopefully this should be resolved soon.