Workstation load

Hi 

I am in dire need of a process where I can calculate load on a workstation and plan my production.
Let me explain by an example.

I have a customized product A which is sold in units of Sq ft or Numbers. However, the price is based on the machining time spent on a workstation. The machining is done on Workstation X. The machining time varies with each customer order.

I first want to create an SO for Product A. Then create a production order for it where I can define the amount of time it spends on a workstation X. 
I then would like to have a workstation wise report where it shows the amount of time to be spent on various SO and items. I could then handover the report to operators so that they know what to process and when.
Through this report I would also have an estimate of the load on my workstation and I could accordingly take new order and give an estimate to customer as to when can we deliver the product.

I the current erpnext setup I am facing problems at the following places:
1. I cannot define different time and time rate for same product at the time of making a Production Order. (It has already been defined in BOM and to change it with each order is a pain. I am not sure if changing it each time would work either)
2. I don't see any report based on Workstation where I know work load and the time it would take to complete all my orders.

In current setup can it be done through any workaround?

Satish

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

We know that some costing related difficulty is there and we are working towards similar direction. In first step, we are thinking to link "Time Log" to manufacturing module.
Some ideas are as follows:
  • On submission of Production Order, system will create "Time Log" for each operation of BOM
  • When a particular operation will take place, associated "Time Log" should be updated by the users
  • The "Time Log" should be linked to BOM, Production Order, Operation, Sales Item and Sales Order
  • Make a report which will give total expenses from Time Log against Production Order
Do you have any idea or workflow in your mind to track actual time spend on a specific workstation against a production order. If you can share a document proposing any solution, it will be great help towards development. Do you have any existing format for the report of workstation-wise load?

On 19-Aug-2013, at 1:06 PM, Satish wrote:

Hi 

I am in dire need of a process where I can calculate load on a workstation and plan my production.

I have a customized product A which is sold in units of Sq ft or Numbers. However, the price is based on the machining time spent on a workstation. The machining is done on Workstation X. The machining time varies with each customer order.

I first want to create an SO for Product A. Then create a production order for it where I can define the amount of time it spends on a workstation X. 
I then would like to have a workstation wise report where it shows the amount of time to be spent on various SO and items. I could then handover the report to operators so that they know what to process and when.
Through this report I would also have an estimate of the load on my workstation and I could accordingly take new order and give an estimate to customer as to when can we deliver the product.

1. I cannot define different time and time rate for same product at the time of making a Production Order. (It has already been defined in BOM and to change it with each order is a pain. I am not sure if changing it each time would work either)
2. I don't see any report based on Workstation where I know work load and the time it would take to complete all my orders.

Satish

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext User's Forum" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

Dear Nabin,

Sorry for replying so late.

1. In the first place my difficulty is that in our type of business where we are doing a lot of custom work, creating a BOM for each SO item is not possible at all. BOM structure is rigid and each operation and inputs have to be defined exactly to make it work. We are looking for a process where we can define operations and inputs for items after an SO is created. For example, we have created item "Custom Stone Work" which has no defined price, inputs or BOM. When we get an order for custom stone work, we input all item related details in "Description" cell. Now price, operations, inputs for this kind of custom stone work will change from Order to order and hence defining a BOM is out of question. Further since we can't create BOM, we can't create a Production Order for it. We have to directly make a stock entry using up all the inputs and creating an output.

Now in this process, we have absolutely no idea about work to be carried out on workstations. 

2. Creating a Time Log in advance at the time of creating a Production Order or Sales Order is a good idea. This time log could be sorted workstation wise and used as guide for the workstation operator to plan production.

Satish  

On Monday, 19 August 2013 16:41:49 UTC+5:30, Nabin Hait wrote:
We know that some costing related difficulty is there and we are working towards similar direction. In first step, we are thinking to link "Time Log" to manufacturing module.
  • On submission of Production Order, system will create "Time Log" for each operation of BOM
  • When a particular operation will take place, associated "Time Log" should be updated by the users
  • The "Time Log" should be linked to BOM, Production Order, Operation, Sales Item and Sales Order
  • Make a report which will give total expenses from Time Log against Production Order
Do you have any idea or workflow in your mind to track actual time spend on a specific workstation against a production order. If you can share a document proposing any solution, it will be great help towards development. Do you have any existing format for the report of workstation-wise load?

Hi 

Satish

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

Satish,

It may not be the answer you are looking for, but the better answer is to create the BOMs. BOMs will allow you to standardize processes, codify a lot of your business knowledge and help you scale your business. You will also get better profitability understanding. I have seen so many small businesses and they usually ignore the value of "engineering" their processes and BOMs. The result is that a tiny number of people have all the knowledge in their head and they start becoming bottlenecks.

I know you are in custom work - but its still better to make the BOMs. The other benefit is that you can re-use your designs, get better understanding of your profitability etc.

Not better way to improve both quality and profits be introducing standardization and repeatability.

best,
Rushabh

W: https://erpnext.com
T: @rushabh_mehta

On 27-Aug-2013, at 11:37 AM, Satish <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Nabin,

1. In the first place my difficulty is that in our type of business where we are doing a lot of custom work, creating a BOM for each SO item is not possible at all. BOM structure is rigid and each operation and inputs have to be defined exactly to make it work. We are looking for a process where we can define operations and inputs for items after an SO is created. For example, we have created item "Custom Stone Work" which has no defined price, inputs or BOM. When we get an order for custom stone work, we input all item related details in "Description" cell. Now price, operations, inputs for this kind of custom stone work will change from Order to order and hence defining a BOM is out of question. Further since we can't create BOM, we can't create a Production Order for it. We have to directly make a stock entry using up all the inputs and creating an output.

Now in this process, we have absolutely no idea about work to be carried out on workstations. 

2. Creating a Time Log in advance at the time of creating a Production Order or Sales Order is a good idea. This time log could be sorted workstation wise and used as guide for the workstation operator to plan production.

Satish  

Hi 

Satish

Dear Rushabh,

I thought over what you have written and agree that we just can't do away with creating BOMs even for custom products. But then may be I could not articulate what we want.
I was going through something on the internet and think this is something which could work for us. I am not sure right now but this is very close to what I was trying to say.
Following is the link. You may go through it if you find some time and let us know what you think of it. 

Satish

On Wednesday, 28 August 2013 18:48:10 UTC+5:30, Rushabh Mehta wrote:
Satish,

It may not be the answer you are looking for, but the better answer is to create the BOMs. BOMs will allow you to standardize processes, codify a lot of your business knowledge and help you scale your business. You will also get better profitability understanding. I have seen so many small businesses and they usually ignore the value of "engineering" their processes and BOMs. The result is that a tiny number of people have all the knowledge in their head and they start becoming bottlenecks.

I know you are in custom work - but its still better to make the BOMs. The other benefit is that you can re-use your designs, get better understanding of your profitability etc.

Not better way to improve both quality and profits be introducing standardization and repeatability.

best,
Rushabh

Dear Nabin,

Satish  

Hi 

Satish

Did you try using the "copy" feature from BOM?

Maybe with a good classification system, you should be able to find the closest BOM quickly and then copy it and make the changes.

On 02-Sep-2013, at 2:05 PM, Satish <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Rushabh,

I thought over what you have written and agree that we just can't do away with creating BOMs even for custom products. But then may be I could not articulate what we want.
I was going through something on the internet and think this is something which could work for us. I am not sure right now but this is very close to what I was trying to say.
Following is the link. You may go through it if you find some time and let us know what you think of it. 

Satish

Satish,

best,
Rushabh

Dear Nabin,

Satish  

Hi 

Satish

Hi

Well copying and creating is a different story altogether.
However, I was thinking that if in BOM we are entering the number of hours/minutes of operations on a particular workstation to be spent on an item, it should be possible to convert this data into a report when a production order is opened.
Lets say if an item A needs 65 minutes of operations (for one unit) of workstation Z and I open a production order for this item, let us say for 2 units, then I should be able to know from a report that the workstation Z has 130 minutes of job pending.
Is it possible to generate such report right now in erpnext??

Satish Gupta

On Tuesday, 3 September 2013 10:54:56 UTC+5:30, Rushabh Mehta wrote:

Maybe with a good classification system, you should be able to find the closest BOM quickly and then copy it and make the changes.

Dear Rushabh,

Satish

Satish,

best,
Rushabh

Dear Nabin,

Satish  

Hi 

Satish

Satish,

What you are asking is rough cut capacity planning - we you should be able to make such a report using "query report" and using some SQL-foo

Please file a feature request, so we can look at it sometime (?)

best,
Rushabh

On 03-Sep-2013, at 12:17 PM, Satish <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

However, I was thinking that if in BOM we are entering the number of hours/minutes of operations on a particular workstation to be spent on an item, it should be possible to convert this data into a report when a production order is opened.
Lets say if an item A needs 65 minutes of operations (for one unit) of workstation Z and I open a production order for this item, let us say for 2 units, then I should be able to know from a report that the workstation Z has 130 minutes of job pending.

Satish Gupta

Dear Rushabh,

Satish

Satish,

best,
Rushabh

Dear Nabin,

Satish  

Hi 

Satish

I am sorry to ask this and it seems like a dumb question to ask but I can't seem to find the custom report builder or "query report"

Satish Gupta

On Tuesday, 3 September 2013 15:19:40 UTC+5:30, Rushabh Mehta wrote:
Satish,

What you are asking is rough cut capacity planning - we you should be able to make such a report using "query report" and using some SQL-foo

best,
Rushabh

Hi

Satish Gupta

Dear Rushabh,

Satish

Satish,

best,
Rushabh

Dear Nabin,

Satish  

Hi 

Satish

Go to File -> New -> Report, select report_type as "Query Report"

On 3 Sep 2013 20:12, "Satish" <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am sorry to ask this and it seems like a dumb question to ask but I can't seem to find the custom report builder or "query report"

Satish Gupta

On Tuesday, 3 September 2013 15:19:40 UTC+5:30, Rushabh Mehta wrote:
Satish,

best,
Rushabh

Hi

Satish Gupta

Dear Rushabh,

Satish

Satish,

best,
Rushabh

Dear Nabin,

Satish

Hi

Satish

You have likely solved this problem by now ... but on the offhand chance you still are figuring it out... Can't you do a Material BOM and then a Service item (or BOM) where the unit is a time measure? then you order the base materials BOM and then add the extra machining charges as a time based unit?

On Tuesday, August 27, 2013 1:07:23 AM UTC-5, Satish wrote:
Dear Nabin,

Satish  

Hi 

Satish

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/27bf7b0a-92d6-4e80-bafd-2a66cdde182d%40googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.