Work Order Missing Required Items

I am having a spot of trouble creating Work Orders from a BOM. When I create a Work Orders, it doesn’t include the materials from the immediate BOM - only materials used to manufacture an item on the BOM.

I’m using:

ERPNext: v12.18.0 (version-12)
Frappe Framework: v12.15.0 (version-12)

Here’s a more complete example:

Suppose I have these items:

• ITEM-BASE-01
  • ITEM-INTR-02

I want to manufacture this item:

• ITEM-FINAL-01

I have the following BOMs:

• BOM-INTR-02 (for manufacturing ITEM-INTR-02)
    • Required Items: ITEM-BASE-01
  • BOM-ITEM-FINAL-01 (for manufacturing ITEM-FINAL-01)
    • Required Items: ITEM-INTR-02

When I create a Work Order for BOM-ITEM-FINAL-01, under Required Items I expect to see the items required to manufacture ITEM-FINAL-01. Instead, I see the items required to manufacture ITEM-INTR-02 (ITEM-BASE-01).

If I create a Work Order for ITEM-INTR-02, under Required Items I expect to see the items required to manufacture that item (ITEM-BASE-01). Instead, the Required Items list is empty.

The description in the documentation for Required Items says:

All the required items (raw materials) will be fetched from BOM and populated in this table. Here you can also change the Source Warehouse for any item. And during the production, you can track transferred raw materials from this table.

What am I missing?

Does this happen if you open the BOM for the item , then click blue Create button upper right, work order?

Does this happen if you open the BOM for the item , then click blue Create button upper right, work order?

Yes

Are Multi level BOM’s in play?

No.

I fixed a mistake I made yesterday, but I forgot exactly what it was - I think I had the wrong item specified on the BOM. Now neither Work Order contains the items required to manufacture either item. Not helpful, but at least the problem is consistent now.

I’ve been able to create an item BOM , then a second Item BOM with the first as a Material. When creating a work order from the second item with the Use Multi-Level BOM checked , the materials for the first item appear in the Required Items table. When the Use Multi-Level BOM box is unchecked , the first item appears as the only Required Item.

Note that the Include Item in Manufacturing is checked and the Default Material Request Type is set to Manufacture for the second Item, though I have not tested with other settings.

Here are the settings on my Items and BOM leading up to the first Work Order. Hopefully they will offer insight into why it isn’t working for me?

Note that when I select or deselect the “Use Multi-Level BOM” it does not update the Required Items section:

ITEM-BASE-01

Setting Value
Item Name ITEM-BASE-01
Item Group Artwork
Default Unit of Measure Ea
Maintain Stock unchecked
Include Item in Manufacturing checked
INVENTORY section
(Not displayed)
SALES, PURCHASE, ACCOUNTING DEFAULTS
Item Defaults Company: STARSTIX, LLC; Default Warehouse: Stores - SX; Default Price List: (empty)
PURCHASE, REPLENISHMENT DETAILS
Is Purchase Item unchecked

ITEM-INTR-02

Setting Value
Item Name ITEM-INTR-02
Item Group Gang
Default Unit of Measure Ea
Maintain Stock checked
Include Item in Manufacturing checked
INVENTORY section
Default Material Request Type Manufacture
SERIAL NOS ANDD BATCHES
Has Serial No checked
Serial Number Series GNG.#######
SALES, PURCHASE, ACCOUNTING DEFAULTS
Item Defaults Company: STARSTIX, LLC; Default Warehouse: Stores - SX; Default Price List: (empty)
PURCHASE, REPLENISHMENT DETAILS
Is Purchase Item unchecked

BOM-INTR-02

Setting Value
Item ITEM-INTR-02
Company My Company, LLC
Item Name ITEM-INTR-02
Item UOM Ea
Is Active checked
Is Default checked
Allow Alternative Item unchecked
Set rate of sub-assembly item based on BOM checked
Quantity 1
OPERATIONS
With Operations checked
Transfer Material Against Work Order
Routing Gang
Operations Operation: Gang; Workstation: (empty); Description: Gang; Operation Time: 1; Operating Cost: $0.00
MATERIALS
Quality Inspection Required unchecked + disabled
Items Item Code: ITEM-BASE-01; Qty: 1; UOM: Ea; Rate: $0.00; Amount: $0.00