[WIP]: Kanban view for Frappe

true compared to Odoo

But actually (if I understand correctly and you can put any ERPNExt document into any board) it seems to me the approach goes beyond that a little (or maybe a lot) and so it’s maybe not to be compared 1:1 to what Odoo does.

I guess you’d need to use both for a little while in order to be able to say which is ‘better’

it all about easy of use in frappe. It would take alot of effort to create a boards for all the modules you want. think projects, productions orders, materail requests, etc… Really any of them. Then you have to do it for all of your customers. Thats alot of time. Now I do think that what @alec_ruizramon1 has done is more powerfull and I truly believe if done right there could be use for both.

You can ignore this error - has something to do with the Babel transpiled output, doesn’t affect the app.

@vrms

now, not sure whether I understand this 100% correctly … is it that you can add any ERPNExt document (Sales Invoice, a task, a Purchase ORder …) to any board and move such items through it (for example through some sort of due > work in progress > done stages?

Correct! It’s set up to allow you to choose any ‘select’ field (really any field will work, but selects are the most rigid with moving through stages). Currently drag/drop of documents / tasks / etc isn’t complete as I haven’t had time to work on that.

I suppose it has to change to be GPL3 since Frappe/ERPNext are. I don’t know enough about the licensing. @rmehta am I correct in thinking this?

It’s conceivable to have a generator for standard uses - any document with a “status” or “tasks” field or so on has a board auto-generated. Then for other, more custom boards (such as the whole sales funnel use) you can manually define one.

@alec_ruizramon1 I installed the app, created a new board using Lead Pipeline page, added the column and fields from lead doc, yet I still get blank page when I open Pipeline page,. am I missing something here?

@ganas check your console for errors…also, it can take a while for the page to load (this is in the to-dos to fix) so be patient!

even though I agree that it wouldn’t hurt to have a kanban available just like a list view for everything I am not really sure whether you actually need that. From my experience with Odoo (where it’s the default view even. In most cases I switched to list view right away (because you simply see much more entries on one screen).

So, if that is said to be TRUE it would be worth once while to set boards up for any usecase.

Generally I think there are 2 different lines maybe.

1. a standard kanban view for anything
  2. the more powerful SuperKanBan (which probably would be what I was using to actually manage processes) by @alec_ruizramon1

As 2.) is being in development I’d put my money on that in terms of prioritizing.

@alec_ruizramon1 would it be a thought to open some issues for things you already have on your to-do list on your github and add your paypal to it, so ppl might put some actual cash on such additional features? That should keep you motivated and also help to prioritize based on what people want/need?
… just a thought

@alec_ruizramon1 nice!

we are working on a new gantt component after that we might work on merging your work too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@alec_ruizramon1 sent you a PR on github with a little addition to your README. Feel free to merge if it suits you

@rmehta Awesome!

@vrms Looks good, will make a small change to it (moving cards back and forth is not complete yet, that’s all!)

Need to check on this, there are a few issues on my end to clear up before going ahead with something like that. I’m definitely interested, though.

1 Like

@alec_ruizramon1

I’m running V7.

I can see Kanban in apps folder in the terminal but not on the Desktop

Anything that I’m missing ?

A few things to check:

Did you bench install-app kanban ?
Did you go into setup and enable the module?
Did you migrate after installation?
Are you logged in as administrator? (Haven’t figured out how to deal with permissions for Board, Board Col, etc doctypes).

Let me know :slight_smile:

Yes offcourse :slight_smile:

Did you go into setup and enable the module?

I don’t see that module at all

Did you migrate after installation?

Yes

Are you logged in as administrator? (Haven’t figured out how to deal with permissions for Board, Board Col, etc doctypes).

Yes

Let me know :slight_smile:

I don’t know why it wouldn’t be showing up in the modules, so let’s check if the doctypes exist.

Can you check in the ‘DocType’ list and search for “Board”?

Also, you can see if it’s in sites/apps.txt? Or is the output of bench list-apps?

apps.txt

Even DocType also there

Add a perm for system manager through setup for those docs, the only default permission for those documents is Administrator.

Ok cool. After changing the permissions it got working.

But I’m not sure about the usage

This is what I’m getting, anything missing ?

The “Board” doc is a setup for the page. The field name and option need to be a field from the doctype you select and a valid option, so that the column can select all documents that match.

Set it up with just one column and no filters and navigate to the page and you should see!

(moving cards back and forth is not complete yet, that’s all!)

That would make a strange kanban, i guess you mean drag n drop, right?

Yep, drag/drop functionality isn’t there yet. I can build it just need to find time. It’s more just stringing it together with Frappe in a way that’s generic enough for every doc…easy for just changing statuses, hard for moving between different doctypes (lead-> opportunity).

2 Likes