Why ERPNext consultancy expensive than other ERPs

I have to add my two cents here, bc somethines I feel the same, but when I remember my Odoo’s bills I just forget all the hassle with ERPNext. I think you just compare ERPNext with the wrong products. If you keep your ERPNext vanilla, you won’t get hurt and the documentation is well written or you can find a bunch of help on youtube. But yes, you have to do it yourself. Otherwise, you have to pay someone to do it for you like any other software. And price of consultancy is vary, I can’t say it’s expensive, just go for skilled freelancers. Good Luck

1 Like

Well said ERPNext if full of programmers when we talk of improving simple user interfaces they will be thinking we are requesting for a very big thing or to them its friendily enough.ERPNext is really a great product .If you look in the market the bigger market share need the same features no need to even go to customization the only thing customized is invoice template and quotation .But in ERPNext you have to customize a lot if for a small shop selling sweets you have to spend an hour or so if you are experienced to do some customizations. l am only able to use ERPNext because l have vast experince with ERP systems

The market share for closed end users who doesn’t need many customizations is wat too bigger than those who need some customizations so why not put all standard forms to avoid some unnecessary customizations .It looks like its done deliberately so that you have to find ERPNext programmer

1 Like

This thread has truly jumped the shark.

Workspaces require no programming or customization to use. Standard use-cases come ready out of the box, and you can have links to literally anything you want in seconds. If you’re not going to take a bit of time to educate yourself, there’s not much we can do to help you.

9 Likes

I’m a bit stumped at what you are looking for. Just because the software itself doesn’t cost anything, you can’t expect that additional services around it should be provided for free either. And if you have experience with ERP systems, than you should know that one size does not fit all.

I am just starting to use ERPNext and I am quite impressed with the functionality and flexibility the system provides. And I have previously implemented Oracle Applications and SAP systems, which are both WAY more expensive in everything.

And ERPNext might not be the best solution for a tiny little shop, as they functionality is suited for mid-size companies that have more complex requirements.

6 Likes

Every successful ERP deployment requires consulting cost

2 Likes

Most implementations we do require minor or no customizations. In that case only hosting charges apply. Creation of few reports, couple of work-flows etc we generally do for free.
Major customizations cost money as developers need to be paid per hour. But it is not more than any other ERP implementations like SAP, Dynamics etc. In fact ERPNext consultancy fees become lesser and lesser as more and more people learning that. Hundreds of developers gets trained on ERPNext everyday.

2 Likes

am currently working on linking branches it quite a hustle but luckily l found someone here who is freely assisting me otherwise l thought we all know businesses will have branches and inter branch transactions but to do it you need quite a lot of some customizations of which it should be stardand feature that should come already there because most people will need it

No customization is required to do inter-branch transactions.

1 Like

hmmmm how so because even if you check in forums here it need customizations its actually impoossible to do it without customisations

It depends on the nature of the transactions (and the way your branches are set up), but payments, stock movements, and journal entries all have provisions for company-internal movement. If it’s just an accounting matter, Dimensions and Finance Books are extremely flexible.

2 Likes

l have checked in manuals there isn’t enough information in manuals

1 Like

The manuals have really come a long way since V11 to be honest.
Also gaining an understanding of how large scale ERP work will help understanding how ERPNext work. If you have worked with the likes of SAP, it’s actually very similar to ERPNext.

As an IT consultant, I can also say that customisations cost depends on how complicated the modifications are. As an example, adding a few fields would be much cheaper than creating and entire custom front end.

I can also say that doing customisations on SAP will be much more expensive due to its closed source nature.

4 Likes

My point is the there are things that should come on default that shouldn’t need any customisations very good example of branch transactions and inter branch transfers it’s a very simple one but u need to do customisations and there is no maunaul to even support it meaning you have to consult someone and we are saying again ERPNext consultant are very few and expensive making it impossible to implement at the end of the day

Getting help here is like winning the lottery. Eg, check my last question.
Check GitHub issue page - 70+% issues have no anwser.
Docs, at least for JS(front end) don’t exist. Eg. there’s no documentation for adding a row in child table. At least I coudn’t find it in docs. Found it somewhere here.
So, don’t expect community to help you.
I’m not full time JS programmer, but I understand code enough to know what’s happening. It’s really heavy to do advance customization.

I just did a web search for frappe add child javascript. The first result was a link to the JS documentation. In that documentation, there’s a whole section on interacting with child tables, including the method frm.add_child.

https://frappeframework.com/docs/v13/user/en/api/form#frmadd_child

5 Likes

don’t you think ERPNext should have all the documentation readily available in public domain since its an open source so what’s the point of hiding everything , its like ERPNext are not really really open to new users but to old ones at least all manuals should be available with clear steps because hiding things will slow down the growth rate of ERPNext right now V13 l had to ask for it on forums otherwise its not there on ERPNext website , most the questions l ask here they are general questions that should just be found in manuals for example custom fields there is no manuals for it l watched a video which actually didn’t even have enough info so l was to do a lot of trials and errors to win .

you see there is no such documentation you have to find some methods of finding the way to it and at times you may not get the info in time or not all so the ERPNext should just make the information available its better to sell the information maybe using a different company name rather than not finding the information at all.I wish to see ERPNext growing at a faster rate than it is currently doing and that can only be possible by making the documentation of everything available

I’m having a hard time believing you’re serious at this point. The link I posted is the official documentation, and it is Creative Commons licensed. Nothing is “hiding”.

dude, did you even check their doc? Custom Field
I don’t even have to read the doc, using Customize button, and adding fields is a piece of cake