Why does BOM need Company

I’m pretty sure this is new for version 8. Why does BOM need Company? I would like to share BOM’s between companies as I have different manufacturing companies.

I also couldn’t find any documentation on the new BOM doc. Are there any?

Hi @Nathan . Please see documentation for BOM here.

thanks @creamdory. I saw that link before. It just doesn’t give any rational or reasoning behind the new structure. Like I said. Why does it need company?

In the BOM, costing is done based on the base currency of the company. On selection of Company, it’s default currency is fetched based on which valuation is done for operations and raw-materials.

2 Likes

This doesn’t make sense to me. Shouldn’t this calculation be done at the production order level and not at the BOM level. If I’m making a hamburger in India or China the BOM should be the same. But the cost is different depending on where I make it and source my ingredients.

I’m looking at Production Orders doc and there is no way to choose a company. Is this a bug or a design issue.

I have two manufacture companies(along with other companies) using the same erpnext instance. I would like to share BOMs between the two companies. At the moment I don’t know how to create a production order for the company that’s not the default company. Since I can’t choose company like I can for Sales Order.

Is there a workaround to this? @umair

Thank you.