When will "install.py" start defaulting to using Python 3? (since v2.x expires soon)

Currently, if you want to run the Easy Install using the install.py script, you have to make sure to install the python 2.x stuff first, then the install script will work.

Ran into this on a recent Ubuntu 18.04 install Once I rand the old pre-requisites to get the v2.x stuff installed, the install script ran through with no errors. However, it did post a huge red warning that the old python would be retired and no longer supported later this year.

So, Can the playbook be setup to install the required python 3 components or could someone update the published readme on github to reflect the instructions for installing the python 3 components that are required.

Currently the posted instructions install the old python stuff.

I would much prefer to install my ERPNext ‘production’ servers with the newer python and avoid the troublesome process of trying to upgrade it later. The problem is the install script currently does not do it and the instructions provided do not address the issue.

Or is there something I am missing here about how to do this for production?

BKM

2 Likes

Who maintains the install instructions on the github page?

Can we ask them to update the Easy Install instructions to reference the setup for python 3.x before running the install.py ??

Those instructions right now are old and referenece setting up python 2.x

Changing the text there would help a world of people that are just starting out with ERPNext.

Just my opinion… (and you know what they say about opinions)

BKM :grin:

Well, I really don’t like crowding up the github pages, but I think this is important enough that it should be addressed now.

So, I created an issue for it here:

https://github.com/frappe/bench/issues/774

Forgive me if this causes trouble, but I really think it is important.

BKM

I think we all do. :slight_smile: Just edit the ReadMe.md on your forked Bench, and submit a Pull Request. Pretty sure project maintainers will accept changes to the ReadMe.

Umm… yup. Not a developer. Don’t know the first thing about forking something on github.

That is why I asked for help with this. I went as far as I possibly could to identiy the proble and make it known on github. but I don’t know where to begin about setting up python 3.x prior to running the install script.

Again, that’s because I am not a developer, just an implementer for my clients. I know how to teach them how to use it, and I know how to get the server up and running. I can even keep it pretty secure. Bt knowing how packages inter-relate and depend on each other is just outside my understanding at this time.

So, hoefully someone that does know how to setup python 3.x so the install.py will run, will provide the prerequisite instructions for this.

My best ability to contribute here is my paying for mods to the system / donating them back to the core, and writing tutorials here on the forum.

BKM

Gotcha…I misunderstood! I thought you already knew/had the instructions. And just wanted to modify them.

I’m actually in the middle of doing some installations. I’ll take a look at this, and see if I can come up with something repeatable, in terms of Python 3.

Related Topic: Node.js is still stuck with their Python 2 dependency. If any developers on here have experience with this (I certainly do not), perhaps the Node.js team could use some help. Gyp is the reason they’re stuck with the older Python.

1 Like