What is Tax ID in Supplier/Customer Doctype. How is it different from GST that we specify in address

What is the use of Tax ID in Supplier/Customer Doctype.

Since for a given customer or supplier we also specify the GST number on the address, what do we specify in the Tax ID field.

If this is redundant then why was this introduced in the first place. I am guessing there should be some reason.

When we create a SO for example, this Tax Id is populated on the SO. Hence if i put the GST number it can be incorrect, because the Invoice is generated as per the Place of supply which can be different.

Can someone specify how they have used the tax id field?

Hi @frewper,

Information on Tax Identification Numbers (Tax ID):
In India, TIN (Tax ID) is officially called the Permanent Account Number (PAN).

Business entities need to register under GST and obtain a unique 15-digit Goods and Services Tax Identification Number (GSTIN). This has replaced the Tax Identification Number (TIN) allotted to businesses by state tax authorities for registering under the VAT system.

I have presented brief ideas about tax id and gstin.
I hope you understand.

Thank You!

Hi @NCP

Information on Tax Identification Numbers (Tax ID):
In India, TIN (Tax ID) is officially called the **Permanent Account Number (PAN)** .

I am not sure if this is true. Because the Supplier Doctype has two fields for each of them one for PAN and one for TaxID. If they are the same then no point having an extra field.

Business entities need to register under GST and obtain a unique 15-digit Goods and Services Tax Identification Number (GSTIN). **This has replaced the Tax Identification Number (TIN) allotted to businesses by state tax authorities for registering under the VAT system

Yes GST subsumed a few of the tax heads that existed earlier, such as Excise and VAT.
But this doesn’t require us to enter the GST number in the TaxID field. There is a completely different field for GST under address doctype.