WARN: bench is installed in editable mode!

This is real headache!

I cannot install bench in my CentOS 7 system.

when I use sudo python3.6 -m pip install frappe-bench, this is shown:

Requirement already satisfied: Click==7.0 in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from frappe-bench) (7.0)
Requirement already satisfied: GitPython==2.1.15 in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from frappe-bench) (2.1.15)
Requirement already satisfied: honcho==1.0.1 in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from frappe-bench) (1.0.1)
Requirement already satisfied: Jinja2==2.10.3 in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from frappe-bench) (2.10.3)
Requirement already satisfied: python-crontab==2.4.0 in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from frappe-bench) (2.4.0)
Requirement already satisfied: requests==2.22.0 in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from frappe-bench) (2.22.0)
Requirement already satisfied: semantic-version==2.8.2 in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from frappe-bench) (2.8.2)
Requirement already satisfied: setuptools in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from frappe-bench) (40.8.0)
Requirement already satisfied: six in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from frappe-bench) (1.12.0)
Requirement already satisfied: virtualenv in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from frappe-bench) (16.6.0)
Requirement already satisfied: gitdb2<3,>=2 in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from GitPython==2.1.15->frappe-bench) (2.0.6)
Requirement already satisfied: MarkupSafe>=0.23 in /usr/local/lib64/python3.6/site-packages (from Jinja2==2.10.3->frappe-bench) (1.1.1)
Requirement already satisfied: python-dateutil in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from python-crontab==2.4.0->frappe-bench) (2.8.1)
Requirement already satisfied: chardet<3.1.0,>=3.0.2 in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from requests==2.22.0->frappe-bench) (3.0.4)
Requirement already satisfied: urllib3!=1.25.0,!=1.25.1,<1.26,>=1.21.1 in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from requests==2.22.0->frappe-bench) (1.25.11)
Requirement already satisfied: certifi>=2017.4.17 in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from requests==2.22.0->frappe-bench) (2020.11.8)
Requirement already satisfied: idna<2.9,>=2.5 in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from requests==2.22.0->frappe-bench) (2.8)
Requirement already satisfied: smmap2>=2.0.0 in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from gitdb2<3,>=2->GitPython==2.1.15->frappe-bench) (3.0.1)
Requirement already satisfied: smmap>=3.0.1 in /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from smmap2>=2.0.0->gitdb2<3,>=2->GitPython==2.1.15->frappe-bench) (3.0.4)

That is why my only option is to clone the repository by using git clone https://github.com/frappe/bench bench-repo and then using sudo python3.6 -m pip install -e bench-repo

Any help, please?

Regards
Jaime

from @revant_one on https://discuss.frappe.io/

Using pip install -e ./bench-repo installs the bench from the locally cloned bench-repo directory.
That is called the editable mode. Because you can edit the bench source code and it’ll reflect when bench command is executed.
It is recommended if you’re developing bench itself or sending PR to bench repo.
If pip install frappe-bench is used, it’ll pull the pypi package and install it.
You’ll not be able to do bench development. Recommended when you know editing bench is not required.

Please explain better your reply. My only solution was to clone the repository as my question says. When using pip install frappe-bench it did not work.

@trentmu suggested in details may help.

but you can try the below command also.

sudo git clone https://github.com/frappe/bench bench-repo

sudo pip3 install frappe-bench;

I did it that way… but since I have cloned the repository, bench is set as editable.

Jaime

Here is the well explained thread.

That’s the point. I have no frappe-bench directory. I have tried everything, but frappe-bench is not created, even when i run the installer using frappe user and inside its home directory.

Do you have a step by step tutorial to install it in Centos 7? I have followed instructions in Vultr and in RoseHosting sites but nothing works.

I have to do it all manually since this is not a fresh server, so I cannot either use scripts that it is supposed to do it all automatically (I have tried a couple of them but they abort execution with errors)

Regards
Jaime

@Suresh_Thakor I have followed again instructions from https://www.vultr.com/docs/how-to-install-erpnext-open-source-erp-on-centos-7. In this case, frappe-bench directory is called erpnext, so inside erpnext directory I run bench command and the same warning occurs, so it seems that warning has nothing to do where the bench command is run from.

I have also run it from /opt/bench and the same warning.

Regards
Jaime