Ver 11 Update: Field cannot be set as unique in tabItem, as there are non-unique existing values

Running bench update on one of the sites gives this error:

frappe.exceptions.ValidationError: field cannot be set as unique in tabItem, as there are non-unique existing values

Interestingly there is no field name there. Just field. Still tried to set barcode values to null, but still getting this same error.

Complete trace is here:

Executing erpnext.patches.v10_0.item_barcode_childtable_migrate in site1.local (1bd3e0294da19198)

There was an issue while migrating the DocType: Item

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py”, line 174, in _run_module_as_main
main”, fname, loader, pkg_name)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py”, line 72, in _run_code
exec code in run_globals
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/utils/bench_helper.py”, line 97, in
main()
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/utils/bench_helper.py”, line 18, in main
click.Group(commands=commands)(prog_name=‘bench’)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/click/core.py”, line 764, in call
return self.main(*args, **kwargs)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/click/core.py”, line 717, in main
rv = self.invoke(ctx)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/click/core.py”, line 1137, in invoke
return _process_result(sub_ctx.command.invoke(sub_ctx))
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/click/core.py”, line 1137, in invoke
return _process_result(sub_ctx.command.invoke(sub_ctx))
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/click/core.py”, line 956, in invoke
return ctx.invoke(self.callback, **ctx.params)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/click/core.py”, line 555, in invoke
return callback(*args, **kwargs)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/click/decorators.py”, line 17, in new_func
return f(get_current_context(), *args, **kwargs)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/commands/init.py”, line 25, in _func
ret = f(frappe._dict(ctx.obj), *args, **kwargs)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/commands/site.py”, line 227, in migrate
migrate(context.verbose, rebuild_website=rebuild_website)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/migrate.py”, line 38, in migrate
frappe.modules.patch_handler.run_all()
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/modules/patch_handler.py”, line 29, in run_all
if not run_single(patchmodule = patch):
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/modules/patch_handler.py”, line 63, in run_single
return execute_patch(patchmodule, method, methodargs)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/modules/patch_handler.py”, line 83, in execute_patch
frappe.get_attr(patchmodule.split()[0] + “.execute”)()
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/erpnext/erpnext/patches/v10_0/item_barcode_childtable_migrate.py”, line 12, in execute
frappe.reload_doc(“stock”, “doctype”, “item”)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/init.py”, line 788, in reload_doc
return frappe.modules.reload_doc(module, dt, dn, force=force, reset_permissions=reset_permissions)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/modules/utils.py”, line 155, in reload_doc
return import_files(module, dt, dn, force=force, reset_permissions=reset_permissions)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/modules/import_file.py”, line 26, in import_files
reset_permissions=reset_permissions)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/modules/import_file.py”, line 31, in import_file
ret = import_file_by_path(path, force, pre_process=pre_process, reset_permissions=reset_permissions)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/modules/import_file.py”, line 65, in import_file_by_path
ignore_version=ignore_version, reset_permissions=reset_permissions)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/modules/import_file.py”, line 132, in import_doc
doc.insert()
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/model/document.py”, line 249, in insert
self.run_post_save_methods()
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/model/document.py”, line 905, in run_post_save_methods
self.run_method(“on_update”)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/model/document.py”, line 772, in run_method
out = Document.hook(fn)(self, *args, **kwargs)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/model/document.py”, line 1048, in composer
return composed(self, method, *args, **kwargs)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/model/document.py”, line 1031, in runner
add_to_return_value(self, fn(self, *args, **kwargs))
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/model/document.py”, line 766, in
fn = lambda self, *args, **kwargs: getattr(self, method)(*args, **kwargs)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/core/doctype/doctype/doctype.py”, line 235, in on_update
raise e
frappe.exceptions.ValidationError: field cannot be set as unique in tabItem, as there are non-unique existing values

Anything I’m missing?

Thanks

Jay

Okay I learnt a lot of things as I solved this problem:

1. At the MariaDB level there are two fields. One called name (no, not item_name, just name) and another called item_code. I’m not sure about this but I guess the rename and the merge functions use the item_code to merge items, whereas the name remains what it was.

2. I figured out what are the items that have duplicate item codes by going to the frappe-bench folder and running bench mariadb (of course you need to worry about the site if you are using a multitenanted setup) and then running the command: SELECT COUNT(*) c,item_code FROM tabItem GROUP BY item_code HAVING c > 1;

That listed all the records that had duplicate values in item_code

1. Now, you find out what’s name for each duplicate record by running the command: SELECT * FROM tabItem WHERE item_code = ‘itemxyz’; That will list the duplicate record

2. Now, change the item_code for one of the values by running the command: UPDATE tabItem set item_code = ‘itemxyz1’ WHERE name = ‘itemxyz1’; (#3 gives you the name for the records that have the same item code)

Do this for each of the records that have common item_code and after that run bench update and it should go through.

But can some enlightened soul tell me what are the consequences of what I did. I’m guessing the by doing this, I have unmerged the merged items. Anything else?

Thanks

Jay

3 Likes

Thank you sir,
I was stuck here, your solution helped me to come out.