ValueError: Document attached to child table must be a dict or BaseDocument, not type 'list'

What does this error mean? It appears when I save values in child table of Quality Inspection!

TIA

Can you share the full trace? Also post if you have any customizations.

Customised the fields in QI reading table…removed results 1 to 10 and added a new field ‘status’'. below is the trace:

Traceback (innermost last):
File “/home/krithi/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/app.py”, line 51, in application
response = frappe.handler.handle()
File “/home/krithi/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/handler.py”, line 68, in handle
execute_cmd(cmd)
File “/home/krithi/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/handler.py”, line 91, in execute_cmd
ret = frappe.call(method, **frappe.form_dict)
File “/home/krithi/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/init.py”, line 751, in call
return fn(*args, **newargs)
File “/home/krithi/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/desk/form/save.py”, line 12, in savedocs
doc = frappe.get_doc(json.loads(frappe.form_dict.doc))
File “/home/krithi/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/init.py”, line 499, in get_doc
return frappe.model.document.get_doc(arg1, arg2)
File “/home/krithi/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/model/document.py”, line 44, in get_doc
return controller(arg1, arg2)
File “/home/krithi/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/model/document.py”, line 78, in init
super(Document, self).init(arg1)
File “/home/krithi/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/model/base_document.py”, line 46, in init
self.update(d)
File “/home/krithi/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/model/base_document.py”, line 69, in update
self.set(key, value)
File “/home/krithi/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/model/base_document.py”, line 116, in set
self.extend(key, value)
File “/home/krithi/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/model/base_document.py”, line 142, in extend
self.append(key, v)
File “/home/krithi/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/model/base_document.py”, line 137, in append
raise ValueError, "Document attached to child table must be a dict or BaseDocument, not " + str(type(value))[1:-1]
ValueError: Document attached to child table must be a dict or BaseDocument, not type ‘list’

Fixed it. One of the values returned from db was not string. Hence the error. thanks.

Hi @krithi_ramani
I am getting the same error, while I update the value of a child field.
May, I know what was the issue, and how did you solve it?

Regards
Ruchin Sharma