We make robotic machines which usually have 1000s of components(itemcodes).
- Each component undergoes different operations(sometimes 10).
- The Operations are sometimes done inhouse or subcontracted.
- The sequence of operations is not always fixed.
We cannot create different itemcodes for same component undergoing different subcontract operation for following reasons
- Unwieldy to handle too many itemcodes
- Say if we name it as FGG-020-140-245-DN for drilling the component FGG-020-140-245. Though itemcode is same, we could still endup with different prices for different pieces because the prior operation could have been different for each piece. Valuation goes haywire.
- BOM is a problem too as we have to create a BOM for every subcontract operation with items for every combination of prior operations.
Maintaining same itemcode for different subcontract operation and a recursive BOM eliminates many issues but valuation(different price for different pieces) is still a problem.
Could someone pls suggest a way forward for the above requirement.