V11 Release Date

Will v11 only support Python 3?

No, it will support both 2.7 and 3

2 Likes

Hi @nabinhait

Thanks for the update.

We have some issues with the Loyalty feature as stated in Loyalty Minimum spend not been effected for the tiers · Issue #14930 · frappe/erpnext · GitHub . Can the team have a look at it ?

Also the need for loyalty spend and accumulation when using offline PoS as explained by me in the final statement in Loyalty Program by manassolanki · Pull Request #12631 · frappe/erpnext · GitHub

It will be nice if this can be looked into.

Regards

Any Updates on v11 release?

Maybe take a guess from there Version 11 Milestone · GitHub :grinning:

2 Likes

The closed milestone gives a hint but could there not be an official announcement or date made public so existing users especially on master branch and in production environment can upgrade to V11 safely.

The new features of V11 are exciting. We are looking forward to the upgrade so that we can do any customization on top of that instead of current v10.1.47

Looking forward to some clear idea about the v11 release (for production users) as well as steps to upgrade without breaking or messing up anything as we are already using in production(smooth upgrade).

TIA.

-Shubham

1 Like

Yesterday I have changed May 2018 as a release date for only „2018“ in Wikipedia.

2 Likes

The current thought is to do more testing on v11 and move a few erpnext.com users first on the staging branch before merging it to master.

Since some of the feedback was that “users want stability”. We will try and make the migration as smooth as possible.

14 Likes

Sounds like a reasonable plan. Thanks for updating this thread.

Is there any update on the planned release date of v11?

Please read above. Coding finished. Hardening time … No fixed date as of now.

1 Like

We’d like to hear from the ERPNext team about their estimate. I see that all test related items of the V11 milestones in Github are complete but the staging branch has not moved in the last 2 weeks.

I would hope this means there’s a reasonable amount of stability on the staging branch hence not requiring continuous patching. I’d also really love to see an estimate of release date from the core team as it helps a lot with planning

Most of all though, I’m grateful for the excellent effort that’s been put into the development of v11. Many thanks to all contributors - both core team and community

Cheers!

2 Likes

"
We’d like to hear from the ERPNext team about their estimate. I see that all test related items of the V11 milestones in Github are complete but the staging branch has not moved in the last 2 weeks.
"

My two cents here is imho automated test coverage and density, integration tests and so on, is unfortunately the Achilles heel of ERPNext.

The best practice idea is, when a problem arises with no test to mark what caused the issue, promptly write a test or two to reproduce and highlight that bug so it never surprises you again.

Follow this test driven design (TDD) principle discipline, and eventually you reach a point where identifying and resolving problems, especially when tests have converged and release time expectations are high - so time estimates are easier and more accurate (to define the problem extent what, why, how long etc)

The more that the community supports and encourages TDD, the more that work to automate test coverage can catch up to feature code development.

Frappe resources this technical debt effort but hopefully the Foundation will recognize and resource this to a greater extent.

5 Likes

I am grateful that there has been a new emphasis on “stability” in the upcoming release. To real commercial clients, that is the the best thing they could possibly hear.

No business system implementation is ever so important that a commercial client would risk the manpower lost having to fix problems all the time in an early release.

Not a single one.

Every one of them that have any experience running their business with such and important software tool, would opt to wait for a better, more stable, release. They don’t want to be the crash test dummies for rushed releases.

I know my clients will be much more comfortable after reading this post topic.

Just my opinion and that of my group of clients.

Thank you for paying attention to their concerns. Take your time… we’ll wait. :grin:

BKM

9 Likes

This is a much better approach to ensure stability. Less functions with stability is fine. Internally we had a tough time with V7 hence we didn’t upgrade till V10 was stable. We ignored all versions between 7 and 10.

3 Likes

hey guys any news regarding the release date of v11? I can’t wait to see it released

1 Like

Same here. We require some communication with at least a rough estimate. Will it be September 2018 or more towards December?

1 Like

Stability! Stability!! Stability!!! Not how robust,or loaded with features but how stable.We want to thank the team for taking their time this time around.For our beloved community members desiring to know the time of the release,let our amiable Team give them the estimated time of the release.

7 Likes

I second Fred’s comments. We have had a rock solid experience with v10 and while we all want the features of v11, we would certainly not want to compromise on the stability we have experienced with v10.

4 Likes