A month ago I filed an issue on the ERPNext GitHub [https://github.com/frappe/erpnext/issues/15300] which is yet to be answered.
We are currently looking to implement ERPNext into our company as the go-to ERP solution. However our products are quite diverse and require a massive amount of custom fields in the item form. When creating the fields it will occur at random times that new fields are not added where you intended them to be and are instead added at the bottom of the list.
ERPNext prevents reordering of those fields so the only way to circumvent wrong placement is by downloading the current bugged fields as CSV via ERPNext’s built in functions, reordering the fields in Excel or OpenOffice and uploading the changed CSV to ERPNext again.
The fields will show up correctly after upload, but if you hit “save” everything will be reset to how it was before.
You can reproduce this behaviour by either starting a self-hosted new instance (VM is easiest) or by using a new free online demo account. Then follow these steps:
- Use “Customize Form” tool to create a single or multiple custom fields
- Update form
- Use the download function to save a .csv file to your computer
- Reset the form via the “Reset to defaults” button on top of page
- Update form to confirm changes
- Use the upload function to attach your downloaded .csv
- Verify the custom fields being included in the table
- Update form
This is nothing short of a completely broken module that can easily be fixed by letting users rearrange the custom fields in the editor like it was possible in the past. There’s no logical reason to not support this.