Try ERPNext Buy Support Partners Foundation

Upgrade from Ubuntu 18 to 20

if i am running ERPNext on Ubuntu 18 and upgrade Ubuntu to 20 (using SSH commands) without touching ERPNext install; would ERP Next continue to work properly or am i likely to face issues?

It should work fine, unless libraries etc are changed or removed by the upgrade process.
If you make a backup of your ERPNext system before you do the upgrade, you will be able to get back to a working system if the upgrade goes wrong.

anyone here tried it? any experiences ?

Complete and utter disaster… Frappe was rendered non-functional and the site never came back online. AVOID.

1 Like

@psiborg999 anks for sharing your experience. And more importantly saving me from the trouble! :slight_smile:

No worries, friend… Glad to help!

I’m currently running a development instance of ERPNext on Ubuntu 20.04. Fresh install, not an upgrade.

I agree with @trentmu that for the most part, ERPNext has very few dependencies on Linux/Ubuntu. Almost all the dependencies are 3rd party packages.

With that said, here are the 2 biggest differences to watch for, if you’re installing/upgrading in 2020.

1. Ubuntu 20.04 no longer ships with Python2. If your ERPNext (or any installed dependencies) rely on Python 2? You’ll need to upgrade those packages to Python3 compatibility.

2. NodeJS 13+ no longer depends on Python2. However…Node 12 and earlier still do. This could place your installation in a situation where ERPNext and its Python packages are targeting Python3. But your Node might still expect Python2!

As long as you keep those things in mind, ERPNext manually installs quite fine on Ubuntu 20.04.

3 Likes