Unable to use maximum continuous days allowed

hi
Anyone can please help me to figure out the use of maximum_continuous_days_allowed field on leave type doctype.
Please help i want to use this for maternity leave type.

This field prevents an employee from creating leave applications with total leave days more than the leaves specified in maximum continuous days allowed field in leave type.

But as per the erpnext manual it have to be work as follows:

Maximum Continuous Days Applicable: It refers to maximum number of days this particular Leave Type can be availed at a stretch. If an employee exceeds the maximum number of days under a particular Leave Type, his/her extended leave may be considered as ‘Leave Without Pay’ and this may affect his/her salary calculation.

https://erpnext.com/docs/user/manual/en/human-resources/leave-type

Its not working as per the description given in manual.

I think the documents are not updated, however, this much definition is only correct.

Maximum Continuous Days Applicable: It refers to maximum number of days this particular Leave Type can be availed at a stretch

If you need to limit number of leaves taken by an employee, you have to use the field “max leaves allowed”. The employee won’t be allowed to make the leave application for leaves more than the specified amount. In order to allow them to create such a leave more than the allocation, you need to either check the leave without pay option in the leave type or check the allow negative balance, in which case it won’t affect their salaries.