Unable to configure outgoing mail

Hey guys,

Running:
AWS EC2 Micro
Bitnami ERPNext Ubuntu (14.04) one click installer AMI (current version)

I have been unable to get outgoing email configured. I’ve tried so hard it’s embarrassing and it wouldn’t surprise me if I’ve done more harm than good along the way.

I couldn’t even list everything I’ve tried but here are the services I tried to setup:

1. Gmail
  2. SendGrid
  3. Amazon SES
  4. Mailgun
  5. Office365
  6. CPanel Mail
  7. Sparkpost

I checked out a ton of relevant documentation from the above services, Github, Bitnami, Amazon, and ERPNext. I looked at every relevant issue I could find on all the related boards.

I’ve tried troubleshooting a few different errors including the one referenced here:

Tried updating setup tools and cryptography from that error.

Also followed the AWS docs to try stunnel and postfix.

I managed to send a terminal API call with Sparkpost so that’s as close as any of those have come. Any ideas for logs I should be checking? Anything I can do to test the integrity of my installation? Anything you guys need to see?

What am I missing here.

Since bitnami uses and creates its own stack (read this somewhere), so its difficult to point out what the issue really is.

You can try to do the following:

1. Download Oracle VM box
  2. Download the Virutal image installer from erpnext’s website
  3. Install it on your local machine, and configure your mail account there.
  4. If it works, then its a bitnami-amazon issue, if it doesn’t share your feedback, error logs.

I have the same error logs as people without the bitnami stack.

For AWS users, Even though the UI was giving errors and refusing to save, editing the site-config.json and deleting the default notifications account from the UI worked.

You can’t test or see the working account settings anywhere in the UI, but outgoing mail from the site is working.

It comes under user Frappe though, so I assume these ERPNext documents from AWS are incomplete. Anyone know offhand the line I need to add to customize the senders name?

@eirua On a bitnami stack, can you please indicate where did you find the site-config.json?

/opt/bitnami/apps/erpnext/htdocs/frappe-bench/sites/erpnext/site_config.json

For AWS users, Even though the UI was giving errors and refusing to save, > editing the site-config.json and deleting the default notifications account from the UI worked.

How did you setup your site-config.json to look like?