Ubuntu 20.04 (anyone with a successful install?)

Sorry, I realize the title of my post displays my frustration but…I’m pulling my hair out here.

I’m on a local box (2.6 Ghz 8 cores, 16 Gb RAM) with Ubuntu 20.04, Maria, PHP 7.4, Nginx all working properly.

The install script does not work…but oddly I have somehow managed to get Bench installed.

bench --version gives me - 5.5.5-dev

Redis is also installed - redis-server gives me version+5.0.7

But it also tells me it cannot create a server TCP listening socket (message pasted below)

39106:C 08 Jul 2021 14:05:31.307 # oO0OoO0OoO0Oo Redis is starting oO0OoO0OoO0Oo

39106:C 08 Jul 2021 14:05:31.307 # Redis version=5.0.7, bits=64, commit=00000000, modified=0, pid=39106, just started

39106:C 08 Jul 2021 14:05:31.307 # Warning: no config file specified, using the default config. In order to specify a config file use redis-server /path/to/redis.conf

39106:M 08 Jul 2021 14:05:31.309 * Increased maximum number of open files to 10032 (it was originally set to 1024).

39106:M 08 Jul 2021 14:05:31.309 # Could not create server TCP listening socket *:6379: bind: Address already in use

Maybe that’s why it starts and then shuts down each time I run - bench start…?

I ran bench update and after a long delay and tons of verbose output (and some excitement as it looked like I was making progress) I’m basically in the same boat. Same error when trying to start bench (redis start and then stop).

I’m left to start wondering if it’s really possible to install ERPNext on Ubuntu 20.04…? :frowning:

Jason

P.S. When I run “sudo python3 install.py --production” I get the following. Every other time I’ve run the install script it has always ended with the last lines that begin with “Traceback”

Logs are saved under /tmp/logs/easy-install__2021-07-08__05-26.log

curl already installed!

wget already installed!

git already installed!

pip3 already installed!

/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/secretstorage/dhcrypto.py:15: CryptographyDeprecationWarning: int_from_bytes is deprecated, use int.from_bytes instead

from cryptography.utils import int_from_bytes

/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/secretstorage/util.py:19: CryptographyDeprecationWarning: int_from_bytes is deprecated, use int.from_bytes instead

WARNING: Running pip as the 'root' user can result in broken permissions and conflicting behaviour with the system package manager. It is recommended to use a virtual environment instead: https://pip.pypa.io/warnings/venv

/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/secretstorage/dhcrypto.py:15: CryptographyDeprecationWarning: int_from_bytes is deprecated, use int.from_bytes instead

/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/secretstorage/util.py:19: CryptographyDeprecationWarning: int_from_bytes is deprecated, use int.from_bytes instead

WARNING: Running pip as the 'root' user can result in broken permissions and conflicting behaviour with the system package manager. It is recommended to use a virtual environment instead: https://pip.pypa.io/warnings/venv

pip3 already installed!

Checking System Compatibility...

ubuntu 20 is compatible!

Not cloning already existing Bench repository at /tmp/.bench

[WARNING]: No inventory was parsed, only implicit localhost is available

[WARNING]: provided hosts list is empty, only localhost is available. Note that the implicit localhost does not

match 'all'

Input MySQL and Frappe Administrator passwords:

Passwords saved at ~/passwords.txt

Initializing bench frappe-bench:

Frappe Branch: version-12

ERPNext Branch: version-12

[WARNING]: No inventory was parsed, only implicit localhost is available

[WARNING]: provided hosts list is empty, only localhost is available. Note that the implicit localhost does not

match 'all'

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "install.py", line 500, in <module>

install_bench(args)

File "install.py", line 281, in install_bench

run_playbook('site.yml', sudo=True, extra_vars=extra_vars)

File "install.py", line 416, in run_playbook

success = subprocess.check_call(args, cwd=playbooks_folder, stdout=log_stream, stderr=sys.stderr)

File "/usr/lib/python3.8/subprocess.py", line 364, in check_call

raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)

subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['ansible-playbook', '-c', 'local', 'site.yml', '-vvvv', '-e', '@/tmp/extra_vars.json', '--become', '--become-user=frappe']' returned non-zero exit status 2.
1 Like

I’m documenting my success (or lack thereof) here. :slight_smile:

So, I’ve managed to move forward quite a bit with the install script and have now run into the following error (which feels like it’s much closer to a successful install).

An error occurred while installing erpnext:\nModule import failed for Journal Entry (erpnext.accounts.doctype.journal_entry.journal_entry Error: cannot import name 'clear_cache' from 'frappe.website.utils' (/home/jlherpnext/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/website/utils.py))",

Any ideas how I can get past this…?

Ok, I sincerely regret not documenting my journey but…after a little over a week, I finally have ERPNext installed and running on a local box with Ubuntu 20.04. Whew! I found out that I have to start Bench under the previous error and then run Bench update which seems to have fixed things. I can see the app via my browser which is a huge step forward after a LOT of unsuccessful experimentation.

1 Like

Continuing to talk to myself here :slight_smile:

I managed to get ERPNext installed and running but there were no domains accessible…hmm…realized I had somehow installed version 12 so decided to upgrade to version 13. Followed steps from a tutorial I stumbled onto but…now…after using Migrate (and a handful of other commands that I’ve now forgotten) when I access my site I get Frappe instead of ERPNext…

ERPNext is there on my server and I think updated but…it’s not being served. I’m guessing all I need to do is tell Bench? to serve ERPNext instead of Frappe…?

Any advice will be most appreciated.

Wow! What an adventure…I’ve worked with Apache/MySQL/PHP for over ten years and feel relatively comfortable in that environment but…I feel like an alien in a new world with ERPNext, Bench, Redis, Nginx…

I had ERPNext running, upgraded from 12 to 13 and now only have access to Frappe…

I’m lost as to where I can change the path to my server…from Frappe to ERPNext…

ERPNext is installed but it’s not being served and I cannot find anything online pointing me in the right direction. As much hope as I have for this package (ERPNext) the documentation is seemingly behind the actual development :frowning:

I’m probably just tired and frustrated…

Any advice will be sincerely appreciated.

1 Like

We install ERPNext-13 on all Ubuntu 20+ versions on a daily basis. Documented here Installing ERPNext version 13 on Ubuntu 20.10 ( 20+ or 21+ )
Please follow these steps and let me know what issue you are facing.

2 Likes

If you have a valid database backup of v13 already, then install Debian 10, then ERPNext, then restore your database and do a “bench migrate” to make sure the database is good.

Instructions for doing the install on Debian 10 can be found here:

There is a growing number of people on the forum here (including myself) that have given up on Ubuntu. The support packages for it change frequently and there are too many mutations of it spread out over the VPS providers that it is nearly impossible to get a single set of instructions.

Debian is much slower to change and has a longer stability that the other OS systems. When I wrote the install instructions for it, I did it within a week of the Ubuntu instructions. After revisiting the Ubuntu instruction for the 5th time to adjust for changes, I finally gave up and move all of my servers to Debian 10.

I used to be like you (a Ubuntu loyalist) but had to give up on that. I have not had any trouble with the Debian servers.

Hope this helps.

BKM

Thank you very much for the comment and link here.

I’m good up to the following point in your documentation "At this point we have a frappe site running - "

So, next I run - bench get-app erpnext --branch version-13

And everything seems ok…all finishes without any errors.

Next I run - bench install-app erpnext

And I get the error message -

Installing erpnext…
An error occurred while installing erpnext:
ERPNext can only be installed on a fresh site where the setup wizard is not completed.
You can reinstall this site (after saving your data) using: bench --site [sitename] reinstall

So I try (without caps)

bench --site ERPNext reinstall

But oddly, get the message

Site erpnext does not exist!

But it does exist…and tells me so when I run the very first get-app command…asking if I’m ok with overwriting the current copy. Hmmm…scratching my head.

##Edit - Ok, I realized “bench --site ERPNext reinstall” was the wrong command and tried “bench --site site1.local reinstall” which did initiate the reinstall process…but now when I run “bench start” I get a message from redis saying

> # Could not create server TCP listening socket 127.0.0.1:11000: bind: Address already in use

And when I access my site (localip:8000) I still see Frappe…still scratching my head.

Sorry, I keep adding/editing here - I just realized that "bench --site site1.local reinstall" does initiate a reinstall but it’s reinstalling Frappe not ERPNext.

So, it’s clear (as mud) to me that although I am able to successfully get the erpnext app, bench doesn’t realize that is what I want to reinstall…must be a setting in a file somewhere or a command that can be run to tell it I want erpnext instead of frappe…?

bkm,

Thanks for your comment and for the support you provide here. It is thanks to people like you that beginners like me are able to get started with ERPNext.

I’m not really an Ubuntu loyalist…just most comfortable with that platform and not all that excited to wipe the OS I’ve already set up unless it’s absolutely necessary. I’m not using a VPS…but rather have the box sitting in front of me (which is both good and bad).

At any rate, if Ubuntu truly proves to be more pain than I’m willing to suffer through, I’ll make the switch. I was just very excited yesterday to have finally broken through and get everything up and running…prior to then breaking it all when I tried to upgrade from ERPNext 12 to 13. :upside_down_face:

Cheers

ERPGulf,

Thanks again for your help and my apologies for the multiple edits and additions to my inquiry.

I’m happy to say that I finally got to my desired destination. :slight_smile:

I needed :point_down:

bench --site site1.local install-app erpnext

Without that line

“bench --site site1.local reinstall”

was simply reinstalling Frappe. :wink:

I’m in business now…with the Healthcare domain in V13 of ERPNext. Whew…and all of this was simply to build a proof of concept app. We will be contracting out a professionally designed and hosted app once all the details have been worked out. Any chance you are able to do business in Japan?

Jason

Glad it helped.
:slight_smile:

1 Like