ERPNext Conference 2019* ERPNext.com Blog

Treating/moving a stock item as an asset

Hi,

I’ve been trying to find a way to move a single stock item into an asset. Let’s say I purchase laptops and sell them. But among the bought laptops, I want to use one/multiple laptops for office work which should be assets. Now, the item code/name everything is same. Let’s say, among 100 laptops, I want to use 5 and sell the rest.

As asset item can not be stock item, I couldn’t find any resolution to this. The best way-around I found is that, I transfer all the stock item, making stock adjustment. Ref: Moving Asset from Stock Item to Fixed Asset Item

I really appreciate any help regarding this.

Regards,
Farid

That would be useful to me too. In another ERP I managed this kind of flow by creating both assets and stock items. Stock items would have batch number same as asset number so their tracable. Not very easy solution though.

@fnrfarid
if laptop issued for internal usage you should perform an internal issue transaction where below journals will be created.

Dr used account at internal usage issue trx account @average cost
Cr material account @average cost

at this point your stock value and qty are correct, used account is holding a value which is wrong, since it’s clearing account it should be cleared.

as mentioned in the article “Ref: Moving Asset from Stock Item to Fixed Asset Item” you should create manually an asset and complete steps there for depreciation and assignment and so on…

thx
Nofal

@nmami I’m not really sure if I understand your concept and I’m still on V10, I don’t think I have the option to make an account as Inter Company Account/ Internal Issue transaction.

Also, the main issue was while creating an asset, I will need to select an item, which is still a stock item.

Thank you for your help, but I think this is complicated for me and there should a much simpler way.

Thanks again.