Translating Item Master Data for multilanguage use in Transaction

Hello all,

we have a customer requirement in which people with different language skills are working on one system. As we only want to maintain one Item Master we chose not use Item Variant with e.g. DE, EN, ES with according Item Descriptions.

As item_name and description in say Quotation Item are carried forward to Sales Order Item the translation only needs to be set once. We are trying to do this by maintaining a seperate DocType Item Translation which can be selected at transaction level.

See for yourself:
https://handbuch.tueit.de/books/erpnext-custom-apps/page/item-translation

What do you think?

Thanks
Wolfram

Hi,

This may help, or maybe already been seen:

https://docs.erpnext.com/docs/v12/user/manual/en/setting-up/print/custom-translations

thanks @smino my article is not about the print translations but rather translations inside the UI when using the Desk as multilingual company where not everyone speaks every language…

I have updated my initial post with a link to a demo:
https://handbuch.tueit.de/books/erpnext-custom-apps/page/item-translation

Best
Wolfram

1 Like

please can you introduction how can i do this translation for my item
(auf einen ein bisschen deutsch) Guten Tag : bitte können sie einleitung wie kann ich mache diese übersetzung für mein item

To do this you need to create fields for each language in your item master. Then, you also create all these fields in your transaction items (e.g. Sales Order Item) and controll the whole thing on your print via a language choice.

It’s very manual but it works and is highly flexible and you do not need about errors with auto-translations.

1 Like

Hello @wojosc ,
sorry for bothering and thank you for picking up this issue.

I am by far not an expert in Erpnext but I am evaluating the system. “Multilanguage product descriptions” would be quite lift. Unfortunately I cannot really follow your instructions neither here nor on Item Translation | ERPNext Dokumentation. I am missing where to get the DocType “Item Translation” (or how to create it manually) and how to integrate it into product item. I cannot find the app on github and neither have I found other details.

Could you maybe elaborate this a little bit more?

Kind regards,

Fritz

Hallo Fritz,

there is no App for this at the moment. It is just a manual build. To create doctypes please find the general documentation on how to do this: DocType

Basically what we did in the solution described here in the chat was to create a custom field in the item master and fetch this into the line items in the transaction (e.g. Quotation).

We then added the option to only show the fields on the transaction when a specific language is chosen (in the backround all languages are available on the transaction). The option used to show the fields is also used to control the Print Format which will show the respective language when chosen.

To re build this and understand will take around 2 hours. If you wan’t this done quickly done hesitate to contact us: Kontakt

Schönen Abend noch :slight_smile:

Hi,
sorry, I was quite busy the last two weeks. Thanks for the explanation! Indeed I have to dive into it a little bit more to understand it. And yes, it might be easier to just come back to you, if I go for it :wink:
Best, Fritz

Hi will this be doable on Frappe Cloud instance? I wont be able to touch the core .py or .js files as we do not get access.

I can use the server script and client script only.

I have this requirement for a potential customer who is asking that Item, Account and Customer list should be visible in multiple languages.

Regards,
Moiz

Yes, no App needed :slight_smile:

Here is the new link: Item Translation | ERPNext Dokumentation

Thanks for the reply,

I checked your implementation, it is a bit different. can you help me figure out how I can handle my scenario, it would mean alot

Scenario:
I want a solution which should basically let us translate customer, item and account list
then, for example if my default language is english but if a user with arabic language logs in and tries to create a sales order, then automatically arabic list of customers and items should appear for him. He should be able to search their name in arabic as well.

Does your solution cover this ? or can you guide me how to implement this.

Thanks

this you should able to manage with the standard translation function in the Doctype. Artikelbeschreibung ĂĽb... | ERPNext Dokumentation

And in the Doctype itself you can select an option, that the title is translatable. You will want to activate that too.

Do you mean this setting:

I did this already but still in sales order the name is appearing in english for customer field. and i cannot search as well

yes, correct.