ERPNext.com Frappe Cloud Support Partners Foundation Frappe School

Timesheet improvement, timer start in task, gauging interest in pooling for contribution to core via kickstarter/ indiegogo

I am trying to get some timesheet improvements done and thought this might be good to add to the core functionality of ERPNext after a few discussions.
I have a programmer and a price for a private project, $240. This would go up with efforts related to the process of adding to core with the Contribution Guidelines for GitHub, I’m posting to gauge interest.

Problem: timesheets here are clunky, recording time has been much simpler in every office I’ve worked in

Example: see Daily-Project-Timesheet-Template-Download-in-PDF.jpg (585×550) for how they’ve usually looked in an engineering office. Simple, showing a week or more at a glance, adds up the hours for each day because we’re supposed to work apx 8 hrs a day or 40 hrs a week.
But these timesheets are entered manually, so this is still clunky. Some newer services make keeping time frictionless with timers, toggl and clockify as examples. So I had an idea:

Goal: Make my timesheet to act more like toggl or clockify, OR, use a button in the task to start timesheet timer, show current time.

What I tried, some history: I looked into making an integration with integromat by hiring somebody on Fiverr for $40. But then it occurred to me that the integration would only work for one user, so I’d have to make the integration for every new user. So I tried hiring somebody to program some additional functionality, and one guy had a great idea that would take 10-16 hrs, but they were more expensive than I was hoping. Now I am hoping to add some functionality to the core of ERPNext.

• Best & easiest idea so far:
    • Start timer button added to the task page, and when it is started it stops all other timers and makes an entry in the timesheet for the day. (and a new timesheet if needed)
    • The current timer shows at the top of all ERPNext pages I’m the user of, and shows total time clocked for the current day.
    • Optionally when you move a card in Kanban board to a position that the timer starts automatically. Have this optional with a dropdown selector for the ‘status’ that triggers the timer to start.

I’ve never done a pull request before and it seems daunting. I haven’t asked this programmer if he’s willing to go through that process but it was a great idea and it was his so we have a way forward if we want or we can hire somebody else.

• 3 questions.
    • Is anyone else interested in adding this functionality to the core?
    • What is the best way of joining forces and pooling our resources? Kickstarter, indiegogo, bounty etc. evidentally haven’t been used in the last 3 years or so Search results for ‘indiegogo’ - ERPNext Forum. and Upwork seems most active for this Search results for ‘upwork’ but how to pool?
    • How possible is it that my idea will be rejected if we get to that point? ie, is this a bad idea for other types of users or does this fiverr programmer have to meet certain qualifications to even contribute?

Some background: Timesheet changes been requested at times
Better Timesheet for ERPNext or thirdy party integration? - ERPNext / User Forum - ERPNext Forum
Understanding Timesheets - ERPNext Forum
Time Clock / Task Tracking Module - ERPNext / HRMS - ERPNext Forum
I’ve read others in the past because the timesheet page has bugged me a bit from the start, but can’t find the posts right now.

3 Likes

We struggled a lot with the timesheets in ERPNext initially and then we ended up migrating to Projeqtor. While there is no match to the simplicity of erpnext but timesheet entry is just so logical there. It just makes sense using it for our projects module.

We can decide if the timesheet entry is per week or by day.
Then, user only sees a list of tasks assigned to him, and he only has to fill in the time in a easy to use grid
Tasks are in tree format so, it’s rather easier to comprehend

Hi @Jon_Talley,

Thanks for your interest in contributing a feature in the core. Here is how we (from Frappe) could help.

• We can work with you on the scope and mocks
  • We can help find a dev and get it developed
  • We can review the code and get it merged in the core.

I see that you share the design, but it looks like a report view of a timeline. Are you proposing it for the form view? Will be great if you could share more specifics, so that we can freeze and then look for the development options.

Cc: @Nakul_P_Kumar @pushkar