The Hitchhiker's Guide does not mention "pip install frappe-bench"

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to Installing Frappe

Can just anyone update that?

Is there a reason why it still does not refer to pip install frappe-bench?

bench is installed from git

git clone GitHub - frappe/bench: CLI to manage Multi-tenant deployments for Frappe apps

pip install -e ./bench

I used to install it that way but nowadays if you do that you get a warning:

WARN: bench is installed in editable mode!                                

This is not the recommended mode of installation     for production. Instead, install the package from PyPI with: `pip install frappe-bench`

So I guess this way is now deprecated. The guide therefore needs an update!

2 Likes

… and you only get v4.x.x, instead of v5.x.x

I think you should be able to update it. :thinking:

I would if it was clear that there are no good reasons not to. But it’s not clear.

The trouble is that everything about ERPNext’s documentation is kind of “fuzzy”. There’s multiple disjointed and seemingly contradictory bits and pieces scattered about. It’s unclear what’s the most recent and what’s been abandoned.

Eg, why is the Hitchhiker thing necessary? If it’s the best and most up to date guide, why isn’t it written in as the official installation procedure in the official manual?

Eg; The Bench kanban shows everything “Complete” and the completed Documentation card says “Document everything such that everybody knows the whats and whys of bench” yet, like the Hitchhiker, the installation section in it’s own master branch README.md and also the official Installation page still don’t refer to pip install frappe-bench.

Please understand that I’ve invested a lot of time in ERPNext and I REALLY want it to succeed. But I have worked with a large number of FOSS projects and it’s clear that ERPNext badly needs what the best ones have: a paid full-time documentation czar!!

2 Likes

True, it’s very hard to find your way through this.

I think that’s @prasadr.

There’s a PR for the same:

This is what the new Readme would look like:

This clones from the develop branch which diverged before the v5 release. That’s why it doesn’t show the bumped version. However, it is the latest for development. Till the next release, develop won’t be merged to master; only then will it be bumped.

the README update for pip install frappe-bench is pending the project name change PR too. There have been some security and packaging issues that will be pushed in the next release, and installation via PyPI should become the default for bench installs.

OK. I understand.

I do hope it is clear that my criticism is (at least meant to be) constructive.

2 Likes