The best way to update Ubuntu in a Virtual Box Environment

I am running an up to date ERPNext environment within a Virtual Box on a Windows server Host.

The initial download of the Virtual Box distribution was based on an Ubuntu 14.04 guest OS. I now understand that the current distribution is based on 16.04.

I have created a number of custom doctypes and customized many forms within a number of application areas.

Could I have advice on whether it is safer (= less risk prone) to update the UIbuntu OS from within my existing Virtual Box or backup my existing environment and reload a fresh distribution of ERPNext and then restore from my backup.

Hi mafrica

Since the VM download switched from 14.04 to 16.04 but also moved from a 32-bit to a 64-bit machine architecture, your only realistic option is the second one - to backup your 14.04 and restore to a fresh 16.04.

This notes update is possible but not advisable for the faint of heart etc 64 bit - Is it possible to "upgrade" from a 32bit to a 64bit installation? - Ask Ubuntu

https://erpnext.com/download
This link still shows Ubuntu 14.04. And I was happily using VM instance, but due to some random data I removed it and tried reinstalling. Since last one week, it’s not working for me.

Bench update is failing on old OVA file. I tried downloading latest OVA available on site, but it is not booting up. Any suggestion?

I’m on windows 10 host machine

Depends entirely on the specific errors. However, a common source of VM boot errors on VirtualBox is the save state file being corrupted or mismatched; delete any .sav file to start over.

Hi FinForceConsulting -

“This link still shows Ubuntu 14.04”

That page needs to be updated to specify VM downloads are now 16.04 64-bit

“Bench update is failing on old OVA file.”

If you are updating a 32-bit vm image, possibly some package library conflict between 32- and 64-bit?

“I tried downloading latest OVA available on site, but it is not booting up. Any suggestion?”

Review the dmesg boot log output to identify what your startup problem is - my guess is a config issue? For eg the fresh VM 16.04 guest image fails to connect (NAT or shared bridge network) to the Win10 host? You may need to access the grub boot loader to add a kernel parameter to boot in single user mode?

What I can tell you from my experience

My first 16.04 production VM image, build version March 9, that I downloaded about then booted successfully without much fuss to get it to run.

Prior to then I had downloaded both production and development ova that ran 14.04 without any problem.

I use a libvirt utility to convert the ova image file to qcow2 file format, to run it on QEMU/KVM rather than VirtualBox,

You will need a VB admin to advise what config may need to be changed to run the VM image in that environment?

@mafrica

Why don’t you just clone the existing VM and then try and update that to 16.04, this way there is no need to restore from a backup.

I updated from 14 to 16 without any issues. So provided you have a standard Ubuntu installation you should be fine.

I will try and report back.

Thanks

The promised update:

Running the Ubuntu update in the vm ended with me being told that I was up to date when still on 14.04. I tried several posts to force an 16.04 updated but sadly got nowhere. I believe I am running a vanilla ubuntu (as delivered by the download of the vm from the erpnext site)

I have now downloaded the current virtual box appliance (16.04 64 bit), updated frappe and erpnext 10 10.1.27, then exported and reimported database and files from the prior system. The process seems to have gone without a hitch, but I am still testing.

1 Like