Substitue item in BOMs

I have a requirement to define alternative materials. Help is requested regarding how to implement this. Do we have it out of the box. I see one issue which is closed by @umairsy so not sure. Issue 2559

BOMs must typically specify allowable substitutions. An alternate is an item that, whilst not identical, may be substituted for another.

In my particular case, alternatives are known to me ex. BYW98 diode , it has alternative items as (a)SimtronBest SB560 (b)STMicroelectronics STTH302

(A) Is it available out of the box
(B)can i tweak something in existing things
(C)Do i need to code
Any pointer or help to set this up, is appreciated. Thanks!

Is BYW98, SB560 & STTH302 all mutually replaceable in all applications? Or only in this Product/Assembly?

If former, will it help if you have the same part number for all three and use batch numbers to trace the vendor?

If latter: Is the rest of the components of the BOM the same or is it different? Either ways, will having three BOMs help?

This is definitely something that we need to build in soon. But till then, these are your options.

Thanks

Jay

Hi @JayRam

I have got the exact requirement.
Client is into making of electronic item. For making electronic item, the R&D engineer will come up with a BOM as follow

Specification : RESISTOR SMD 10OHM, 1/10W,0603 PACKAGE
Substitue Item 1 : RP0610E0FR/Philips
Substitue Item 2 : CRCW060310R0FKEAC/TexasIns
Qty : 1

Note: These are substitue item, it can be used interchangably as they meet the specification.

Now, in the flow say for above BOM they need to make #50 units, so it might be

Specification : RESISTOR SMD 10OHM, 1/10W,0603 PACKAGE
Substitue Item 1 : RP0610E0FR/Philips : Qty : 20 (We have it in stock)
Substitue Item 2 : CRCW060310R0FKEAC/TexasIns : Qty : 30 (We will procure it)
Total Qty : 50

Request is can you please suggest how to implement it at design level in ERPNext.
Note: We can do the coding and give the feature back to community so please advice how to do it in generic way.
we can get on call if required to explain it better.

How about we try this and identify all the pain points through the entire cycle and then build something more robust?

Create a new Part Number Generic. Turn on Batch. Now go to manufacturer/supplier and add the two manufacturer part numbers.

Now when you build a BOM, build it for Generic. As you inward products, since you have turned on Batch Numbers, you have to set up a batch for this. Set up the Manufacturer Part Number as the batch. Inward the material. If you need to track the exact supplier invoice add you Purchase Receipt Number to the Batch Number.

Your item wise batch history will give you the quantities available in each batch.

Will this not accomplish what you need?

Thanks

Jay

Thanks @JayRam for your time . More questions!

1. How to add multiple manufacturer to item. To me it appears this code is not present in latest build
    Manufacturer childtable by dottenbr · Pull Request #8134 · frappe/erpnext · GitHub
    2)Replying to your earlier question :
  • Are substitue items BYW98, SB560 & STTH302 all mutually replaceable in all applications? Or only in this Product/Assembly? Answer : is Only for particular BOM
  • Is the rest of the components of the BOM the same or is it different? will having three BOMs help Answer: Rest of the components of the BOM are different. Having 3 BOMS will not help

If you can’t, just add as a Supplier and use the Supplier Part number. I don’t think the manufacturer field does anything special.

Will it help if you create a generic item just for this BOM and have two BOMs that links up the Generic item with the two part numbers?

A BOM Stock report will give you an idea of what product you have in stock and a manufacturing activity that will manufacture the generic item from the respective equivalent part numbers will give you the ability to consume those parts, or to reserve those parts for a specific manufacturing activity.

It will help if I could see the BOMs in question. Can you send it to jram at epochconsulting dot in.

Thanks

Jay

@nabinhait, Hi Nabin, I am using the latest ERPNext but i don’t see the fix of 8134. Any idea what i am doing wrong. thanks

That pull request has been reverted later, as it does not have that much use.

Thanks @nabinhait for quick response.