** Solved** How do I turn off "New updates are available" pop-up window? **Proven NOT to be Admin only!

@magic-overflow Good job!

@bkm Yep, // for JavaScript and # for Python. Would be too easy if different programming languages agreed on syntax for comments!

I’ll log an issue on GitHub. Should be able to enable/disable those lines of code, based on a configuration setting. If I have a bit of time (I’m onsite with a client), I’ll put something together, and submit a pull request.

1 Like

Thanks! @brian_pond

I have a GitHub account but just for looking stuff up. I have no idea how to submit anything.

Not a high level developer/programmer. All of my programming was done by hand writing machine code for 8080, 8086, 8088, 6802, 68000 processors and later MicroChip controllers for doing some smaller tasks (like PS2 mod chips).

Anything that was object oriented or higher level stuff I avoided. I had my comfort zone and stayed in it. I still get requests for making up cheater chips for people that have their own slot machines. I just don’t have much time for it anymore.

So folks like yourself are a blessing.

Thank you.

BKM

I was exposed to a tiny bit of machine code during my degree work (EE). Haven’t touched it since. Today, I can barely recognize a diode from a capacitor. :zap:

I started programming as a kid (Basic, C/C++). Didn’t realize that several decades later, a show named Big Bang Theory would made nerds cool . It sure wasn’t cool at the time!

Did some light Fortran work. But then fell in love with SQL databases. That was my first real passion. Later ERP became my second. Worked on a proprietary ERP for a long time. I didn’t learn about ERPNext until quite recently (2017)

1 Like

Ugh! I know a bit about SQL databases, but oly using the old MSsql tools from the WindowsNT era. I traveled the country fixing broken patient databases for my last employer until they finally retired the product when they started prosecuting HIPPA compliance crimes.

I was glad to be done with it because I as always outside my comfort zone and trusting the tools more than my own detective skills.

Once a hardware geek, always a hardware geek. Machine code is just a natural companion.

Anyway…

At this point I think I will mark the thread solved and see what happens on the next point revision update.

Thanks again to all.

BKM

The editing fix provided by @magic-overflow worked!!

The core updated to v11.1.11 and I did NOT get the pop-up message window yesterday when testing.

Thanks again for the tip! :wink:

(Moderator - it is safe to close this thread now)

BKM

Since the proposed solution makes change to core files, if the two files get updated, the popup will return. The only reason it didn’t happen during this particular update was those two core files were not updated, but I wouldn’t count on that always being the case.

By design, the popup should only go to users with the role “System Manager” assigned. They can be normal users (not just administrators) - but if they have the role “System Manager” assigned to their account, then they will get the popup. I’m guessing you’re not assigning the role “System Manager” to cashiers and such, but I may as well ask just to be sure and not assume…

For reference, the pull request to add this feature was

and you can see they tried to restrict it to System Manager. If this isn’t the case, open a github issue and label it as a bug.

that makes sense.

@BKM can you please let us know whether the users “BKM” & “Jim Jourdan” on your site have the “System Manager” role? I agree that a normal user should not see these kind of popups as it may cause all the troubles you have lined out.

Making changes to the core code is a dirty fix rather then a solution (in case this bug did exist), so I’d like to confirm on this.