** Solved** How do I turn off "New updates are available" pop-up window? **Proven NOT to be Admin only!

Yeah, I thought so as well, but my searches are coming up empty. Maybe I just dont have the right search terms but, I am not finding anything on this.

BKM

If I am correct then this pops up only once when logged in as Administrator. Doesn’t come up for regular user. Hasn’t popped up on my V10 production server.

I have never seen it on my v10 servers.

I have just started evaluating v11 for my newest clients and it pops up not only for the administrator but for the 3 other users that also logged into the new system.

The fact that it is NOT limited to the Administrator is the most concerning part.

This is also NOT hosted on the erpnext cloud. This is hosted on one of my own VPS server accounts and it is really quite invasive. I cannot provide this to clients with the constant pop-ups when there is a newer version available.

BKM

I’m also on V11 in a VPS, but I dont see these notifications. Probably because I upgraded straight to v11.1.6 and I might get them when new minor versions are released.

If you have just started evaluating v11, you would be on 11.1.6 as well. Isn’t it?

No, I installed ERPNext about a week ago when I was testing installation steps on Ubuntu 18.04 and I didn’t start adding information to the system until today. When I logged in as the Administrator I saw the message and thought it was odd.
After about 30 min I logged in as one of the other users to test the POS Profile I had created for it. That user had the same message pop-up as the Administrator.

After being puzzled by the pop-up in more than the Admin account I proceeded to lo into two additioal user accounts only to have the same message on both additional users.

It was on the last user that I made a screenshot for this thread.

I keep multiple VPS servers in various states of readiness for testing new versions ut this one was the oldest.

BKM

Ok…

Enough already!!!

For all of you ‘doubting Thomas’ types, here is my latest screen grabs from logging into a v11 system as the Administrator and 2 other regular users:

Popup1

Popup2

Popup3

Now, as you can plainly see by the red circles user names it each of these screen shots, this is NOT…

I repeat, this NOT something that is resrticted to the Administrator user only and it has become a nuisance to the clients that I currently have testing this to become their next ERP system!!!

So, AGIAN, I ask…

How do we turn that damned pop-up message off?!?!?

BKM

1 Like

I think it’s better to update to this patch release.

I got multiple issues resolved in this . If u r using multi currency,particularly u should update

If the core team is sending some pop ups like that,we should oblige realising it is a critical update

While this ‘may’ be true, those pop-ups should NOT be going to every employee.

• The cashiers are afraid to touch anything when this pops-up and they wait for a manager to come and see their stupid terminal.

• The receiving clerk on the loading dock raised a stink because he thought he was being told to update something but had no idea what he was supposed to update.

• The ‘know-it-all’ secretary actually tries to find a magical password that would let her perform the updates (God knows why).

• And the clowns on the manufacturing line think they can’t use their workstation because it has to be updated with something magical that makes it just work.

Come on folks!!!

This is soooo stupid.

The one place I was trying to demo this as their potential new ERP system made me turn it off and told me to go away until that “nag” screen stops interfering with their business.

Somebody, PLEASE somebody, tell me how to disable this message pop-up.

I put a ton of my time into loading their data and setting up everything for them to test this and all that work got flushed down the toilet today by the stupid pop-up nag message.

BKM

1 Like

No. You should not have to patch. Doesn’t matter what the core team thinks. Updating software should be scheduled, voluntary, and controlled. An ERP should not force this. This isn’t Windows 10.

Secondly, regular users should never get these pop ups.

Third, there has to be a way to turn that stuff off. Even for admins.

I’m getting frustrated just reading this. And it’s not even my problem/issue.

@bkm, I am traveling. But when I land at my hotel, I’ll find a way to turn it off. Will likely require you to comment out a few lines in a file, until ERPNext can deliver a real hotfix.

5 Likes

Thanks. I am fine with editing at this point. I already lost a potential client this afternoon that I only got setup to test last Wed. I had installed it a few weeks ago and spent a over a week converting data and loading it up via the import tool.

So, it was left on v11.1.4 just because I was afraid to change anything until they finish testing. This issue blew that idea out of the water.

I appreciate the help.

BKM

No problem. Give me an hour or two. Waiting on my Uber driver right now.

Comment the following line.

“frappe.utils.change_log.check_for_update” in frappe hook
this.show_update_available(); in desk.js

Edit: After changed

bench build
bench restart

7 Likes

@magic-overflow - Thank You!!! :heart_eyes:

Thankfully the ‘bench build’ command is verbose in it’s execution. I initially left an errant # symbol in the desk.js file when trying to comment out the line. The build command was very good at alerting me to the error so I could go back and fix it.

Evidently you are supposed to use // for comments in desk.js and use # for comments in hooks.py

All appears to have gone well though. I will have to wait and see what happens on the next point update.

Thanks again for jumping in to relieve the pressure.

@brian_pond Thank you as well for that great offer to jump in and assist even while traveling.

Good people both of you.

BKM

3 Likes

@magic-overflow Good job!

@bkm Yep, // for JavaScript and # for Python. Would be too easy if different programming languages agreed on syntax for comments!

I’ll log an issue on GitHub. Should be able to enable/disable those lines of code, based on a configuration setting. If I have a bit of time (I’m onsite with a client), I’ll put something together, and submit a pull request.

1 Like

Thanks! @brian_pond

I have a GitHub account but just for looking stuff up. I have no idea how to submit anything.

Not a high level developer/programmer. All of my programming was done by hand writing machine code for 8080, 8086, 8088, 6802, 68000 processors and later MicroChip controllers for doing some smaller tasks (like PS2 mod chips).

Anything that was object oriented or higher level stuff I avoided. I had my comfort zone and stayed in it. I still get requests for making up cheater chips for people that have their own slot machines. I just don’t have much time for it anymore.

So folks like yourself are a blessing.

Thank you.

BKM

I was exposed to a tiny bit of machine code during my degree work (EE). Haven’t touched it since. Today, I can barely recognize a diode from a capacitor. :zap:

I started programming as a kid (Basic, C/C++). Didn’t realize that several decades later, a show named Big Bang Theory would made nerds cool . It sure wasn’t cool at the time!

Did some light Fortran work. But then fell in love with SQL databases. That was my first real passion. Later ERP became my second. Worked on a proprietary ERP for a long time. I didn’t learn about ERPNext until quite recently (2017)

1 Like

Ugh! I know a bit about SQL databases, but oly using the old MSsql tools from the WindowsNT era. I traveled the country fixing broken patient databases for my last employer until they finally retired the product when they started prosecuting HIPPA compliance crimes.

I was glad to be done with it because I as always outside my comfort zone and trusting the tools more than my own detective skills.

Once a hardware geek, always a hardware geek. Machine code is just a natural companion.

Anyway…

At this point I think I will mark the thread solved and see what happens on the next point revision update.

Thanks again to all.

BKM

The editing fix provided by @magic-overflow worked!!

The core updated to v11.1.11 and I did NOT get the pop-up message window yesterday when testing.

Thanks again for the tip! :wink:

(Moderator - it is safe to close this thread now)

BKM

Since the proposed solution makes change to core files, if the two files get updated, the popup will return. The only reason it didn’t happen during this particular update was those two core files were not updated, but I wouldn’t count on that always being the case.

By design, the popup should only go to users with the role “System Manager” assigned. They can be normal users (not just administrators) - but if they have the role “System Manager” assigned to their account, then they will get the popup. I’m guessing you’re not assigning the role “System Manager” to cashiers and such, but I may as well ask just to be sure and not assume…

For reference, the pull request to add this feature was

and you can see they tried to restrict it to System Manager. If this isn’t the case, open a github issue and label it as a bug.