Solidworks (EPDM) Enterprise PDM Integration with ERPNext

I know importing the BOM (Bill of Materials) can be done manually, which is fine. However, I am looking for a push solution to insure the two databases remain in sync with revision and component life cycle control. There were references to two companies who were considering the idea back in 2013 but I’m not sure how far anybody took this idea. EPDM does support XML and I can design the output in a multitude of ways.

1 Like

As far as I know, this was never worked on.

I have written Autodesk Inventor Add-Ins that use the REST API to deal with revision and life cycle control. It has the ability to create items (and assign part numbers), release drawings and math, create and review BOMs, etc.

The benefit of doing this (as opposed to outputting files from EPDM and loading them manually in ERPNext is that it is not intrusive to your workflow.

1 Like

Are there any watchers (or similar functionality) for ERPNext? For example, the XML file is updated, and ERPNext takes into the database for updates. This type of system might have been done for a different database/program and I would rather not completely reinvent the wheel if it can be avoided.

Regards with thanks,
Jeff.

Hi Ben,

That should do the trick, or at least be a solid starting point. EPDM has exposed their API.

Regards with thanks,
Jeff.

The best starting point is here:
https://frappe.github.io/frappe/user/en/guides/integration/rest_api.html

Once you get the basics of creating documents it’s pretty quick to implement. If you need specific guidance, let me know.

Best of luck!

1 Like

Perfect. I’ll give it a go, and branch it out if it is not too buggy.

Maybe a simple approach would be to write the XML to a file share.

A WSO2 Esb instance can watch the share and convert the Xml into a data object for calling the REST Api in ERPNext.

This would be a clean workflow with a high degree of automatization.

2 Likes

Hello ben, I am trying to create something similar for my company, we also work with Autodesk Inventor and Vault. We want to create a workflow between designing products and ERPNext. Unfortunately that link is not working anymore. Any chance you have another link or a different starting point ? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi:

You can see this here now.
https://frappeframework.com/docs/v14/user/en/api/rest

thank you