Setup Wizard Time Warp

I am trying to set up a fresh install on Ubuntu 16.04 and I cannot the FY date to work correctly: every time I try to manually enter a value it overwrites it with an incorrect time/ date. Clicking on the calendar also yields the wrong date. Since you can’t edit your default calendar year, this is problematic.

Can you please share some screenshot of what you are selecting and what gets displayed?

So after some more keyboard banging, I’m experiencing at least two bugs in the setup wizard.

1. It won’t advance from step 3 (Domain) even though I click next. I was able to defeat this by entering “5” in the url bar and then clicking “previous”. I’m not sure if this cascades to the second error, but I suspect not.

2. It would appear that the javascript in the “set financial year” is over riding any manual entry. Whatever I’m clicking on does not match the date. Here I had just navigated to 1/1/17 and got a result of 7/24/16. [Time Warp!]

Her

I just built another new site, same issue.

Hi Tyler,

I have this identical issue in my own environment. Also a fresh install. I’m running Linux Mint 17, based on Ubuntu 14.04.

1. I have the bug you described with the “Select your Domain” screen. I repeatedly click “Next”, and nothing happens. But if I edit the URL manually, or click on “Previous” and then “Next”, sometimes it goes away. This workaround is intermittent. But consistently when I restart my machine, or bench, this happens every time on the 1st attempt.

2. I also can duplicate the Calendar problem. You are correct, no matter what date you enter, it is overwritten with an incorrect date. Clicking on the “Today” button does not enter today’s date, it enters something else. If I continue to click on “Today” multiple times, then the date will change. July 26th 2016, July 25th, 2016, August 3rd, February 20th. I cannot find a pattern.

I have duplicated this using both Mozilla Firefox, and also Chromium (which I installed just to prove Firefox wasn’t the culprit).

Since you and I are both performing fresh installs, is it possible these bugs were recently introduced?

I’m brand-new to ERPNext and Frappe bench. So for now, my ability to trace these types of issues is negligible. I’ll get there. In lieu of that, could we be able to examine recent releases, and identify if the Wizard had code changes in the past few months? Would that be totally obvious on GitHub?

If anyone else is aware of changes to the Setup Wizard, or has seen these Calendar issues before, would appreciate any input. Thanks!

2 Likes

Quick update. I’ve done more reading and research this afternoon. Closer to understanding debugging, but not there yet. I’ve used the

bench update

command to ensure I’m on the latest versions. I’ve confirmed I’m now on Frappe Framework 7.2.17, and ERPNext 7.2.21. These correspond to the latest versions I can see on GitHub.

I restarted bench. This changed nothing. I’m still unable to resolve the 2 bugs, and make it successfully through the Setup Wizard.

On GitHub, I reviewed the changes made in the past few months. I see nothing glaringly obvious. There were a few mentions of Setup Wizard. Looks like some defaults were changed, some improvements for languages. But nothing that explains what we are experiencing.

Running out of ideas for today. I guess next, I’m going to create an entirely new ERPNext site with a new name, and see if that helps…

Not that this is a solution, but if you can get two dates close to each other in ~2015 populated, you can then create a new calendar year once you’re into ERPNext and then delete or ignore the old one. I don’t believe it can be edited.

Thanks. I thought it might be possible to fudge our way through it. But you’re quite correct, not a solution. What I’m afraid of is finishing the wizard, and then discovering the other buttons/calendars don’t work in the actual app, because my installation is broken.

After my earlier software updates to the latest versions, I created a brand-new site. Same results. Thinking perhaps it was just my machine/GUI/browser, I tried from a Windows machine and hit the IP and port. Same results.

Frustration level getting unreasonably high. After fighting and winning the pre-requisites and installation battle, I was very optimistic. I didn’t expect to get walled by the Wizard. So…I’m going to step away from the laptop for a while, grab a bite to eat/drink, etc.

Community: Any advice or suggestions? Many thanks in advance.

So I tried this last night - just pushing through the error and setting up new financial year(s). Once I was into ERPNext there were no date/time issues.

I had a similar issue and I think it was related to the format of the date. I think a workaround is if you manually plug in the date in a yyyy-mm-dd format that could fix it.

Good thought, but no luck. I tried entering 2017-01-01. And received the following message:

I’m assuming it’s applying Date Format validation based on the country we chose on the previous page (USA for me).

Right Click on Inspect Element and go to Console, at step where you are having trouble to open Developer Console to see if you have errors/warnings reported in your browser.
Searching/Posting on forum will help you get right answers…

1 Like

Thanks, @yashodhan. I have done this. Consistently there are errors:

1. Stack Overflow (libs.min.js:7657:107). This happens after I choose a Domain.

// This array is used to make a Date, either with new Date or Date.UTC

Summary

var c,d,e,f,g,h=“”+b._i,i=h.length,j=0;for(e=X(b._f,b._locale).match(ye)||,c=0;c<e.length;c++)f=e[c],d=(h.match(Z(f,b))||)[0],d&&(g=h.substr(0,h.indexOf(d)),g.length>0&&l(b).unusedInput.push(g),h=h.slice(h.indexOf(d)+d.length),j+=d.length),Be[f]?(d?l(b).empty=!1:l(b).unusedTokens.push(f),ca(f,d,b)):b._strict&&!d&&l(b).unusedTokens.push(f);

1. Too much recursion (report.min.js:3041:1)
  2. Too much recursion (libs.min.js:7533:24)

These errors happen when I use the calendar tool to select Start and End dates.

I don’t know javascript. But I’ve tried to research and learn anyway.

Incorrect assumption

These .js files appear to be common libraries. They are not specific to Frappe or ERPNext, correct? So the root cause likely is not those files. (Otherwise every user would experience what I’m experiencing) So it must be the caller to those js files that’s the problem.

I see a common them with my problems: Time. The root cause of these errors seems to be Date/Time. I suspect my installation has problems with Locale, Time Zone, Date Format, or some combination. It feels like whenever I start bench, some date-time variables are getting nulls, or bad values? Which later manifest as errors during choosing Domain, Start, and End Dates.

I want to prove/disprove this. Any suggestions how I can continue to debug?

Thinking again, seems like that PreRequisite software could be the likely culprit? Especially since only 1 other person (@tmatteson) is having these problems. Could these be a NodeJS or Moment issue? I’m not sure if redis or nginx could be the culprits. Do we know what versions are known to be good?

Thanks again in advance. I do feel I have a better grasp of what’s happening. It’s just not enough yet to pinpoint the cause. Or to finish the ERPNext installation cleanly. :confused:

1 Like

So in my previous post, I’d made some wrong assumptions.

libs.min.js → definitely specific to Frappe. Apparently it’s a minimized collection of JavaScript functions. I didn’t even realize “minimizing” was a thing with JavaScript, until today. Lesson learned.

So the actual function throwing the error is called “datepicker”. It’s embedded in libs.min.js. But it’s also at this location (still minimized, though)

/home/brian/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/public/js/lib/datepicker

Many of the library functions have comments showing who wrote it (Frappe, other developers), and license information. But this function does not have that. So I’m not certain the source of it, version, etc. But I think it’s from JQuery.

I haven’t completed my trace yet. However, there were recent GitHub issue related to this:
2307, 2460, 2432

Could this be related? I started my Frappe installation sometime between February 2nd and 9th, after these issues were closed.

JavaScript Errors

We have pushes a fix to avoid the recursion.

2 Likes

Hi everyone.

1) I have the bug you described with the “Select your Domain” screen. I repeatedly click “Next”, and nothing happens. But if I edit the URL manually, or click on “Previous” and then “Next”, sometimes it goes away. This workaround is intermittent. But consistently when I restart my machine, or bench, this happens every time on the 1st attempt.

2) I also can duplicate the Calendar problem. You are correct, no matter what date you enter, it is overwritten with an incorrect date. Clicking on the “Today” button does not enter today’s date, it enters something else. If I continue to click on “Today” multiple times, then the date will change. July 26th 2016, July 25th, 2016, August 3rd, February 20th. I cannot find a pattern.

I can confirm the same errors in latest ERPNext 8.0.5.

Thanks

1 Like

I can confirm the same errors in 8.0.7 too.

The problem solved for me.TimeZone in os must be sync with the wizard