Setup Wizard Differences and Long Term Impact

Hi All

I am trying to understand the differences in the 5 domains that are given in the setup wizard. The only visible difference between them is if you pick Education, then you setup programs, courses, instructors and rooms versus taxes, customers, suppliers and products/services.

So besides the base setup of what is going to be put on the website and some setup stuffs, what underlying documents are updated to change the sales flow and such? In my example I am running more than one company out of one prod instance. One company is a services oriented organization and another is in education. When I initially setup my prod instance, I used Services and recently configured some items for shopping cart to pay invoices. However I noticed there is a heavy touch sales cycle. I am also trying to figure out how to get school “fees” to be payable on the site as well. The manual is way out of date in this area so it’s not a big help at all.

Thanks

@James_Robertson If you are running multiple companies in different domains, its best to have separate instances.

The setup wizard does not have an impact on functionality, only on the default permissions. Check this https://github.com/frappe/erpnext/blob/develop/erpnext/setup/setup_wizard/domainify.py

1 Like

@rmehta That is kind of a pain in the neck in the big picture and should not be required. How can we document this in the user manual? Also I see in the code that you actually remove/delete roles depending on what is picked. How about you just disable them instead so they could be reactivated if needed?

What is the change in behavior when the properties and values are set? For example Manufacturing turns on a collapsable section on Item doctype and then sets stock to show barcode. Do these settings change the selling behavior somehow or do they just flip a few settings that don’t really change the flow.

Thanks

1 Like

@rmehta Thinking about a different angle on this. Rather than “domain”, perhaps the calling it “default permissions profile” is more transparent. The problem that I think @James_Robertson and I are worried about is that it sounds like you’re going to install different charts of accounts or charts of cost centers; for context, this is what QuickBooks does when it asks you a similar setup question.
Making the “domain” extensible or user definable might be good. I imagine the healthcare module that is on its way should have a unique set of default permissions.
Sorry to reopen this, but it seems to me that it’s a good topic for the foundation, no?

1 Like