Setup limitation - no systemd on my Docker image

Thanks @woakes070048 :slight_smile: I almost tried them all including this one. It does work indeed, but itā€™s just an interesting experimental work no more maintained. My main issue with that is that it looks overly complicated, with workers and things that Iā€™m not yet comfortable with. And then I fear maintenance would become a living hell.

I liked this approach lots more GitHub - pfy/erpnext: Erpnext docker iamge but for some reason it still installs v5.

I know it seams complicated an rightfully so. This repo GitHub - pfy/erpnext: Erpnext docker iamge seams to be using docker for the sack of using docker. There are a lot of service that erpnext requires and i am not planning on using it until i need it. The problem with using docker is that most people use it to use it. We run most of our services on openshift that uses docker containers. We did an analysis and found that for the amount of people using or install we couldnā€™t justify using it. I do want to in the future because of all of the benefits openshift provides like fail-over, auto scaling, and load balancing.

Is there a certain reason why you need to use docker?

Sure! I plan to use a couple of tools to run a personal project and if I did install everything manually I would soon get into configuration troubles. I know about ansible and things, but docker looks the easiest for me to manage, maintain, backup, restore and migrate. I ask for docker because I feel comfortable managing containers and the day things will get busier I could use rancher. But as long as docker is simple, dockerfiles need some bash scripting knowledge i donā€™t have.

Iā€™m aware of the one process one container principle, I do agree with you that the image I pointed to might pack too much stuff together, but I just wanted to point in the direction I find more suitable, not asking to make that specific one work :smile: As long as I do agree with all you said, I also believe that extreme granularity would be pointless (unless you really do know what each single specific process is for), adds overhead, and finallyā€¦ Why making ERPNext installation as easy as running a single command and then deploying a tangle of docker containers? Such an oxymoronā€¦

I just would be glad if there would be a supported docker-compose file, with separate app, cache, database, proxy and volumesā€¦ Something easy to understand and maintain, as gitlab does for example.

One more thing: I read about this thing that many people use docker for the sake of it, which sure enough has a seed of truth. However I donā€™t think you do need to take advantage at all costs of all the features of a tool to make it useful. Just a good isolation to me would be enough to justify it. Most people use photoshop to just to crop some pictures you know, and the vast majority wonā€™t use it to do any color grading and stuff, but I donā€™t see the problem. Should be all of them using Paintbrush?

The point is that you do can use docker and I think thatā€™s more than enough. I donā€™t see your point when you say ā€¦We couldnā€™t justify it. Simply put, thereā€™s nothing like perfect information about all the viable alternatives, and thereā€™s personal preference. People pick the option they are more comfortable withā€¦ It shouldnā€™t be like supporting a football team which require some hardcore obedience to the spirit or something. Itā€™s just a tool, and docker is here to stay, so not a bad investment trying to use it anyway, even for the sake of it, if thatā€™s enough to get started. Itā€™s just cool. Still, that image I pointed to can be deployed, while the more elegant which you referenced instead has been abandoned and clearly is not recommended for production. I wonder why. My two cents? Too much trouble.