Selling an Item thats not in Inventory

Hi all,
How can I sell an item with out putting it to the Inventory?

I get to sell the odd ball (one-off, non-standard) here and there, I would like not to put them as a part of my Inventory items. How can this be achieved?

BR
Thilina

1 Like

@drthilina

Can you please elaborate the requirement.
Do you want to track the item delivery or its just a payment received from the customer against an item sale. If you just want to record a payment entry against a sale you can use Payment entry Form
Accounts >> Payment entry
Adding a custom field of the type data to capture item info should serve the purpose.

Hope this helps

@Arundhathi

I’m testing ERPNext in my company that is doing trading. Almost all our sales happens against what we have in inventory. But we do get a Custom made Order (I’m selling 19" racks of a particular standard size, but I get opportunities to quote for non-standard racks which I manufacture from another party). I’m not sure how to go about doing it, because in the quotation you only can input what-ever product you have already created in the system.

So my question is rather how to permit a Quotaion of a “Non-inventory” item and possibly raise an Sales Order for it.

BR
Thilina

In the Item Table, show and edit Description for Non-Inventory Item.

That was something that I was looking for as well but at the moment, this is the only workaround.

So, it means that anything that we sell needs to be firstly created as an item? I was hoping to avoid that actually…

BR
Thilina

No, you just create 1 Item which is “Non-Inventory Item”.

Then set the Item Table to show Description.

When doing a quotation, Item Code = “Non-Inventory Item”, Description = “Any Item Name that you want to sell”. You can do this for as many rows as you like.

For Print Format, up to you if you want to show Item Code, but you must show Description.

1 Like

Hey thanks for helping,

I’m stuck here on how to show the description to modify it, as you can see from my screen shot I cannot see it.

BR
Thilina

Hey thanks for the help.

Found how to do it.

BR
Thilina

1 Like