School setup scenario for college instance

Hello, i need a quick guide on how to setup the following scenario on ERPNext: v9.2.7.

Program setup

1. i have a program eg Diploma in ICT (DICT) which is a 3 year course. For every year there are 3 terms meaning each term is four month.

a) So do i set programs yearly eg Diploma in ICT Year 1, Diploma in ICT Year 2, Diploma in ICT Year 3 or i set only Diploma in ICT ?

Course Setup
2. Assume in a program eg Diploma in ICT i have eg 6 units i.e Unit 1,Unit 2.Unit 3,Unit 4,Unit 5,Unit 6.

a) Is the Course setup in ERPNext means the same as unit setup where i can setup my 6 units for Diploma in ICT?

b) if yes in 2a, Then can we be able to link up a course to a program Eg attach Unit 1,Unit 2.Unit 3,Unit 4,Unit 5,Unit 6 to the Diploma in ICT?

c) Can we associate a course with a term on initial setup? eg If program is Diploma in ICT and in Year 1 it has 3 terms, can we associate unit 1 and unit 2 to be read in term 1 and term 2 of year 1 we do Unit 2 and 3. Is this possible?

1 Like

a) So do i set programs yearly eg Diploma in ICT Year 1, Diploma in ICT Year 2, Diploma in ICT Year 3 or i set only Diploma in ICT ?

Will Syllabus change in each year or term? Accordingly, you should prepare your programs.

a) Is the Course setup in ERPNext means the same as unit setup where i can setup my 6 units for Diploma in ICT?

Are you referring to the Subjects (like maths, science, History) as a unit? If yes, then they should be added as a course.

b) if yes in 2a, Then can we be able to link up a course to a program Eg attach Unit 1,Unit 2.Unit 3,Unit 4,Unit 5,Unit 6 to the Diploma in ICT?

Yes.

c) Can we associate a course with a term on initial setup? eg If program is Diploma in ICT and in Year 1 it has 3 terms, can we associate unit 1 and unit 2 to be read in term 1 and term 2 of year 1 we do Unit 2 and 3. Is this possible?

Terms are generally set based on fee. You can create multiple term, and for each term, you can have different fee structure.

1 Like

yes syllabus will change in the various Years i.e Year 1 and Year 2 have different sets of Subjects. So how will the setup look like

Thanks. This is Answered

Yes that is well answered. Thanks

1 Like

Maybe i didn’t put it clear, i wanted to know if the following scenario is possible and how it will be setup.

Diploma in ICT - Year 1
Term 1- Unit 1, Unit 2
Term 2- Unit 3, Unit 4
Term 3- Unit 5 Unit 6

Diploma in ICT - Year 2-
Term 1- Unit 7, Unit 8
Term 2- Unit 9, Unit 10
Term 3- Unit 11 Unit 12

Diploma in ICT - Year 3-
Term 1- Unit 13, Unit 14
Term 2- Unit 15, Unit 16
Term 3- Unit 17 Unit 18

Looks like we have quite similar requirements. I am negotiating a contract with a university and these are the changes we are working on:

1. New Doctype: Program Track

A Program Track is a set of Programs that are taken together in order to earn a certain degree/diploma/certificate. In your case, Diploma in ICT is a Program Track

2. New Doctype: Program Track Program
Program Track Program (PTP) is a child doctype that links a Program Track to a Program. A PTP have fields Program and Year. In your case, there would be the following PTPs under Diploma in ICT:

• Program: Diploma in ICT - Year1, Year: 1
  • Program: Diploma in ICT - Year2, Year: 2
  • Program: Diploma in ICT - Year3, Year: 3

3. A Custom field link a course to a Program and Term
For example: Java Programing, Diploma in ICT - Year 1, Trimester 1

Other requirements:

1. New student can only enroll in Year 1. Actually, students will not enroll in a Program, but in a Program Track and get automatically enrolled in corresponding Program Year 1
  2. You can apply in Year 2 only if you have successfully completed Year 1
  3. Completion of all Courses in a Program means competing the Program
  4. Completion of all Programs in a Program Track means earning of your degree and automatic clearance from the University
  5. Student groups are transparent and get created automatically
  6. Students have a student portal where they get their Fees, grades, etc
  7. Student are denied access to the portal if they have overdue balance
1 Like

Yes, possible but you may need to add a customer field linking Term field to Program Course doctype

This should be the “Customize” button under Program so that you link the courses under that program to a particular Terrm/semister. Right? Correct me if am wrong.

1 Like

Hi @ben
Your initial program setup should be done as per your enrollment. Does the student enrollment happen in this diploma only once for the three-year or in every academic year or in every academic term? Do you provide any elective subjects(chosen by the student) in every term or there is a fixed curriculum for the whole diploma?
If you have fixed curriculum for the whole program then you can also break your diploma program into multiple programs on the basis of the year and term. (In ERP for maintenance purpose only)
For ex. If you there is a program “Diploma in ICT” then you can break this into like this.
Diploma in ICT Year 1 Term 1
Diploma in ICT Year 1 Term 2

Its benefit will be that you can set the course in every program. and promotion to next term can also be handled properly.

I am not saying that this is the best way to do it but I think its the most efficient as per the current system. If someone like @RWEMA_Aimable is willing to work on extending the program enrollment for the university then we will be more than happy to help them and add this into the core ERPNext Education module.

yes this is a workaround.Thanks for the idea.And do i have now to be migrating student group every term to a new program. eg student group attached to Diploma in ICT Year 1 Term 1 will have to be moved to Diploma in ICT Year 1 Term 2 at the begining of term 2?

The “Batch” based groups can be duplicated and for “Course” based groups, you have to create the separate groups every term.

1 Like

Thanks this is understandable now.

This can be closed now