ERPNext Conference 2019* ERPNext.com Blog

Restoring DB from Version 9 develop to version-11 Master (production)

hello,
If i have a system that is running version 9 develop and i want to backup version 9 DB and restore it on a fresh version-11 production server? we do know way many fields, names, code have changed since that time.
Is there any process to follow for a smooth Restore to the DB on version-11?

Follow this thread to upgrade the ERPNext:

This is not what i’m asking i have version-11 installed , i know how to do that , the thing i can keep trying to many things to restore DB , but if anyone encountered to restore the DB from v9 develop on version-11 production , that’s what i need just so it goes smoothly , thanks for your help though

Is there any help i can use on this one? Like just a hint on where to start as it’s not production to production and it’s not from 1 version to another it’s from v9 dev to v11 prod
I don’t want to mess up everything , too many records

run this

bench --site abc.example.com/ --force restore /sites/abc.example.com/private/backups/2019XXXX_XXXXXX-abc.example.com-database.sql.gz

thanks for your reply, tested it , got the following error though the path is correct.
Invalid path.
not quite sure why it’s wrong i just replaced the variables

in reference to this post

it was creating the db while restoring it, i got this error
ERROR 1227 (42000) at line 24879: Access denied; you need (at least one of) the SUPER privilege(s) for this operation.
i used the commands that bkm shared

gunzip yourbackupfile.sql.gz
sudo bench --force --site your.site.name restore /path.to.your.sql.file

EDIT: It restores couple data not everything i think it stops when it reaches the error above.

EDIT: i removed these lines
/*!50013 DEFINER=root@localhost SQL SECURITY DEFINER */
there were like 5 of them which was causing the security error from the sql file.
now my problem is i can’t login through any of the restored users.
it just stuck on verifying…
while opening the console from the browser this is what i get

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 ()
website.js:162 Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/app.py", line 58, in application
    init_request(request)
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/app.py", line 120, in init_request
    frappe.local.http_request = frappe.auth.HTTPRequest()
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/auth.py", line 51, in __init__
    frappe.local.login_manager = LoginManager()
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/auth.py", line 105, in __init__
    if self.login()==False: return
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/auth.py", line 126, in login
    self.authenticate(user=user, pwd=pwd)
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/auth.py", line 209, in authenticate
    self.check_if_enabled(user)
  File "/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/auth.py", line 215, in check_if_enabled
    if cint(doc.allow_consecutive_login_attempts) > 0:
AttributeError: 'SystemSettings' object has no attribute 'allow_consecutive_login_attempts'

how to proceed with this error if anyone encountered it?

Did you try to restore backup to a fresh install of version 9 and do upgrade incrementally? I did try to upgrade from v8 to v11 back then in this thread Upgrade from v8 to v11

To be honest i didn’t try that , because i was using virtualbox, now using vmware workstation ,
plus there are other configuration that i’ve done on the virtual machine that works on vmware.
so that’s why i didn’t try to do that , I have a VM that is ready with a fresh installation of v11 prod.
but will try your suggestion to upgrade incrementally , thank you.

I was trying to restore database from v8 to v11 too. But since database field and structure are different between versions it cannot be restored. So I installed previous version in order to be able to restore database, then upgrade it.

bench update --patch

should sync the DB schemas

i tried
bench migrate

but still having this issue due to the change in db from v9 dev to v11 prod…
frappe.exceptions.ValidationError: label field cannot be set as unique in tabShipping Rule, as there are non-unique existing values

Tried bench update --patch, because it will patch it too, same error.
so basically not sure how to fix this one , i guess it needs a whole redirection of each field of v9 of each table to the new DB fields in v11

I think you can do it in steps, assuming we can upgrade frappe and erpnext to each different branch manually and updating the db at each version.

I hope that makes sense

Indeed, makes sense.
Will check it step by step as Tej mentioned on top and will share what happens here.

thank you

I succeeded to switch to version 10 develop after fixing couple errors which i will share upon the completion of all the process.
but no luck in switching to v11 dev.
i remember something has changed with versions upon the release of v12.
anything that you might know about versions ?
i used bench switch-to-branch v10.x.x and it worked like a charm without errors.
but can’t seem to figure out how to switch to v11. because there is nothing like v11.x.x
any help ?
as far as i know it’s bench switch-to-branch version-11 --upgrade
but it’s giving an error I don’t think it’s the develop version , it might be the master.
Can share trace logs later of the error, but just need to know if I’m on the right path with branch dev version or not…

Anyone know what should i type to install specific version 11 erpnext develop ?

Everything is documented on

use --version flag to install specific version

python install.py --develop --version 11 --user [frappe-user]

Was trying to get it work with this one
bench switch-to-branch version-11 --upgrade
But got errors related to libssl and that’s why the upgrade wasn’t working and still not working
But i must say v9 performance db compared to v10 performace db is way more faster i can’t even tell how much it’s different.
Problem is i can’t try with the command you shared from v10 dev to v11 dev

this is cause of the issue in the repo naming sequence I guess. if you can share the accurate error then there is a solution mentioned in this forum to solve that.

Used bench switch-to-branch version-11 --upgrade
i actually now got this error:

ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
command: /home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/bin/python -c ‘import sys, setuptools, tokenize; sys.argv[0] = ‘"’"’/tmp/pip-install-ZGBOOw/frappe/setup.py’"’"’; file=’"’"’/tmp/pip-install-ZGBOOw/frappe/setup.py’"’"’;f=getattr(tokenize, ‘"’"‘open’"’"’, open)(file);code=f.read().replace(’"’"’\r\n’"’"’, ‘"’"’\n’"’"’);f.close();exec(compile(code, file, ‘"’"‘exec’"’"’))’ egg_info --egg-base pip-egg-info
cwd: /tmp/pip-install-ZGBOOw/frappe/
Complete output (5 lines):
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
File “/tmp/pip-install-ZGBOOw/frappe/setup.py”, line 10, in
raise LookupError(“You must have test.fm >= 1.0.4 installed before (https://github.com/grafos-ml/frappe)”)
LookupError: You must have test.fm >= 1.0.4 installed before (https://github.com/grafos-ml/frappe)
----------------------------------------
ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: python setup.py egg_info Check the logs for full command output.