Posting here if helps somebody.
We forked ERPNext’s Developer branch to work on Hospitality Module. While our work was in progress, Develop branch was bumped to v12 for accommodating some breaking changes.
When we tried to sync the fork after a long time we got multiple merge conflicts on filed we did NOT touch. We digged through all the tutorial on how to sync a fork -using rebase as well as using merge. But didn’t help.
Thanks to @codingCoffee we eventually learnt that our local repository didn’t have enough history to resolve the origin of our branch correctly to Dev(now staging) branch. So adding
--depth 1000 in git pull fixed it. Our fork then synced with 0 merge conflicts.