Quickbooks integration

Hi Guys,
We have a couple of customers who use Quickbooks and are reluctant to move to ERPNext because their accountants require them to use QB. We read somewhere in this forum that back in 2014 you were thinking about developing a connector and were wondering if you had gotten around to it. Please let us know the status.
Thanks a mil, Paula

Hi!
Thanks for your response. According to the response from @rmehta, you are working on the connectors for QBO and Xero. Do you have an ETA?

Thanks,
Paula

@pdandreamatteo No ETA! But its something we want to do. Rough estimate would be 2-3 months.

Is there any guideline on how to access Quickbook api?
If someone help me to work basic example, I would like to work on full integration of Quickbooks.

@kolate_sambhaji

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=quickbooks+api

got you :slight_smile:

1 Like

@rmehta @kolate_sambhaji wouldn’t it be more worth the development teams while to enhance the ‘inhouse’ accounting rather then creating connectors to closed source external solutions?

Let’s say you can make the ERPN accounting just as good as the examples named here. Wouldn’t the entire project more benefit from such efforts? And spare to work on connectors for feature ERPNext natively doesn’t have.

1 Like

@vrms AFAIK Quickbooks has large customer base, but Quickbooks doesn’t provide Stock Movement, CRM.
ERPNext Provide many features.

If we build Quickbooks connector then all Quickbooks users will becomes potential ERPNext customer.

We have experience with SAP B1 customer. SAP B1 to ERPNext connector now giving us SAP Client.
Its also helpful to migrate from SAP B1 to ERPNext step by step.

Regards,
Sambhaji

2 Likes

true but ERPNext users which do not have (and maybe do not want to start with) this one specific external application still have a (less-then-ideal [not sure whether this actually IS the case]) accounting App.
Maybe that’s a strategical decision. Or maybe (and I can’t judge on that at all) it’s way more easy to make a connector and integrate an external accounting, so you couldn’t really compare those 2 tasks.

I agree with @kolate_sambhaji connectors are a good way to bring more users ERPNext, more users = more community = more contributions, so everyone is happy!

Open source?

@rmehta its not open source because its developed under close source of SAP Integration Framework.

But if any SAP customer want it, he can contact @David_Stegnitz

Note: SAP API development is done by David.
I am maintaining Frappe App for custom field and custom script.

Thanks!

@rmehta Would it be possible for us to sponsor this development so that you could have resources working on it ASAP? If so, how much would it cost and how long would it take?

Best,
Paula

Paula Dandreamatteo

Phone: +1.954.608.8508
paula@beta-brain.com mailto:paula@beta-brain.com

1 Like

@pdandreamatteo Let me send you a PM

@rmehta do you have a standard solution for such requests? I wonder whether it made sense to pose the procedure somewhere. I could imagine more people might be tempted to participate in such once it’s more accessible.

What pops up in my head is you post developments with a budget somewhere and users can chip in to finance such (something like a market place). I couldn’t find it now but I think I saw a section for jobs somewhere (which mainly targets at connecting users with freelancers if I am not mistaken). Maybe such can be used to (crowd)fund certain developments or prioritize those.

There is bountrysource.com which can be used for crowd-funding github requests. Unfortunately I am not sure why people don’t use it often.

In theory yes, but we would need man years of accountants and developers time. It really needs to be designed and tested by accountants, since they would be the ones using it. There seems to be very few in the community. And there are debates among accounts on how things should be handled, which can be different in different places. The design is the most important part, and that is a long process, and encompasses a lot of things like controls, and principals which have to be followed.
Its also a question of needs. Not every company has the same needs, and its possible that the internal accounting might be ok for some companies, but not for others. There is no one solution that is best for every company.
You could also use the same argument for a shopify connector. Why not put all efforts into developing a shopping cart which is equal to Shopify? (Because the Shopify one will always be better) Somebody decided that it made sense to support a Shopify connection, why not accounting?

You also have to be careful about which version of quickbooks you are referring to, since there are many. For example Quickbooks desktop is completely different than Quickbooks online, and there are different versions of quickbooks desktop and online for different countries. (there also other ones like enterprise for example).

To me this is a mismatch, in terms of market and company size. Are you aware that a typical SAP Business One implementation is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars? I would expect the accounting alone for this type of system to be around 50k implemented. Not to mention that SAP business one is installed on in-house proprietary servers etc etc. This marriage doesn’t make much sense to me.

2 Likes

@fblauer it would be much easier to follow your train of thought (and the discussion in general therefore) if you could quote the statements you are referring to in your posts.

SAP connector is useful for those who already have SAP B1.
ERPNext will give unlimited users, CRM, Stock Movement to SAP B1 customer to start migrating from SAP B1 to ERPNext.
Its also cost effective as you said it takes hundred of thousands of dollars to implement SAP B1.
So instead of giving thousands of dollars one should install ERPNext and SAP ERPNext connector.

Similarly we have thinking on Quick books integration, ERPNext will give CRM, Stock Movement, HR to Quick-books customer and many existing Quick-books customer will be potential customer of ERPNext