Quickbooks Integration Development

Has anybody tested this with v7?

@vjFaLk @rmehta Is this project still going? I have checked the github and found that the last commit had been 2 months ago and there is also a pull request. Is the reason that is has not been finished from a lack of funding?

@woakes070048 could be - You can ping someone from Indictrans about this @kanhaiya

@kanhaiya are you guys still working on the quickbooks connector?

1 Like

Yes @woakes070048. We are working on it. Any query where we can help you ?

Regards,
Kanhaiya Kale

Any sort of ETA?

@fblauer I saw that it was updated 3 days ago by @arpitjain06. [small fixes regarding syncing] · indictranstech/erpnext_quickbooks@badc662 · GitHub

Hope that helps I am waiting for the release aswell

This still ongoing? My Company will not move to ERPNext unless this is in place.
Hoping its going well.

@DCTM2015 I can tell you that it is almost 100% working. I agree without this i have a lot of clients that wont move to the system even though ERPNext accounting module is really good. My hope is that it will be adopted by the ERPNext team.

1 Like

Officially adopting the integration would be a huge win for erpnext. Syncing to online bank accounts seems like the most attractive feature of this, bringing everything into erpnext on our end.

If it wasn’t properly maintained, it could turn a lot of people off

1 Like

I agree it would be a massive win for ERPNext. For all of the business i support they wont use anything other than quickbooks. I think it is like that in most places. People trust accountants and accountant trust quickbooks.

2 Likes

Hi All,
QuickBook connector is working fine, we are recently going through a production testing with one instance.First sync and subsequent data sync up is working fine. I suggest you should try that first replicating your QuickBook data to Sandbox and integrate with ERPNext sandbox as your dry run and then move to production (just on precautionary note). However, QuickBook to ERPNext (one way) sync will not hamper your QuickBook production data over trial.

Feel free to record the issues if any you face with required pre-cautions from Error while connecting to Quickbooks

This is ready for Fresh ERPNext setup with old or new QuickBook account as of now. This works for only one company from ERPNext to one QuickBook account as of now.

References–
QuickBook – QB
ERPNext – EN
QuickBook data in ERPNext – QBinEN

There are certain areas where this need fixes or precautions,

1. Currently Chart of Accounts from QB gets replicated to EN Chart of Accounts as part of sync hence you will see duplicate account heads. Post first master sync you should have a look at chart of accounts and fix up well with the help of your accountant, so as Chart of Accounts on both end should look similar and preferably QuickBook structure to be followed. There will be no way back once you move ahead with this unfixed Chart of Accounts.
  2. As part of above exercise you should remove the EN account heads (value should be 0) and keep QBinEN account head only. There will be dependency of EN account heads in respective company page and it should be replaced with QBinEN account head before removing those EN heads. (Anyways throws error otherwise on removal)
  3. Once above exercise is over we should have chart of accounts in both application should be identical and you are ready to receive the data from QB to EN.
  4. Tax Master (and all account master rather) should be maintained in QB only so as both way sync from QB to EN should work smoothly. Currently, master sync from EN to QB is an open issue due to limitations from QB API.

Further Fixes in development,

1. Provide a comparison of chart of account heads from both application as part of first sync so as should be easier to fix the chart of accounts in ERPNext with this lookup. But rest all will be manual work to cleanup.
  2. Provision to move EN account head with amount with identified account head of QBinEN. So, as we are provisioning to clean respective EN account head first making it zero. This is still a challenge to resolve with proper solution.
  3. QB doesn’t provide tax master link with chart of account head through API. Tax booking for sync up data doesn’t work properly as we stand clueless to book tax. Currently this has handled through consolidated tax head booking. Further we have tax master in QuickBook integration settings with mapper between Tax from QB and respective account head in EN. So, this works only with first (as consolidated) entry, we will make it functional with complete mapper in place.
  4. Many more small suggestions and fixes.

Hope to see more feedback to make it more useful.

Gupteshwar
Indictrans.

2 Likes

Glad to hear its almost there. Thanks everyone for your efforts. I’m looking forward to working with this system.

Hi Gupteshwar,
I participated in a benchmark program that pulled QB data into excel (via the general ledger report) where we had ~45 CoAs to reconcile into a common CoA. We did this by programming with some ‘mapping’ code in Excel that read all the accounts in the ledger and then combined them into the common CoA for the benchmark. It took a bit of work (and communication with the customers) to get the mappings right the first time, but they generally stayed true year-to-year.

1. IMHO, you are on the right track with mapping functionality.
  2. How are you storing the mappings so that they are repeatable? Consider CSV, because there will be folks who are fluent in spreadsheets but get lost with python linked lists. (People like me). This also allows versioning and alternative presentations. Franchisees particularly like to be able to map from a specific CoA to a common or benchmark CoA.
  3. I don’t like QuickBooks at all but everybody in my industry uses it. Changing habits is harder than changing minds.
    Keep up the good work and best of luck with your project!
    -T
2 Likes

@tmatteson imagine trying to change the mind of accountants.

3 Likes

Hi Tyler (@tmatteson),

I suppose there is slight mismatch in understanding. We are planning a mapper only for Tax booking as of now and not CoA. To my understanding CoA is not generalised concept and application of it changes per country and even in country it changes as per industry and accounting practice as well. Any solution over this with limited knowledge (of ours) would not be sufficient. But with learning and help from experts we will take this up.

So, for now we leave it to customer (and accountants) with playground to get to it fixed manually and we will help with side by side CoA view to compare.

Nice thought but we will see once basic fixes are out. I suppose this will help to easily replicate across same practicing account books.

We seen business owners find Accounts of ERPNext more promising than anything else they might be using but most of the times it is driven by accountants than business owners. It goes by that judgement and perception which turns it to be reliable practice. So, making a one success story in your industry will help adoption.

At least in India with new tax changes in due effect new implementations showing willingness to go with ERPNext accounting as prime.

Thanks,
Gupteshwar.
Indictrans.

2 Likes

Hello good people, any update on this? Is it working fine now?

There seem to be different threads in different places:

1 Like

Hello - we are interested in the QuickBooks connector software for ERPnext - is it still live and has been tested now? Thank you!

I would like to suggest a generic accounting software interface.

In Austria there is also a very successful proprietary accounting software in broad use, because it is native in the market and a lot and accounting firms are using it. A lot of ERP Systems have interfaces to it.

I have 20years of experience selling and implementing a mid-sized proprietary ERP that did not even have a really integrated accounting. Instead, they had a good generic interface which could easily be adapted for different foreign accounting software. This was a great and easy to sell, since the “accounting world” is often separate from the ERP world in companies. Additionally, we also sold our own separate accounting software “integrated” with the generic interface.

Accounting interfaces do not have a lot of variations, since the data flow is always more or less the same.
It is not necessary to reinvent the wheel for each accounting software.

With a really integrated accounting and a good generic easy to adapt interface ERPNext would have the best of both worlds. Integration and flexibility.