Questions about translation

Hello,

Im now testing ERPnext and have to say its amazing. I have tested almost a dozen of open source erp systems in the past half year and ERPnext is one of the best.
Only one problem exists for me and it is the lack of multilingual interface, so i would like to translate it to Hungarian language (i think its probably not among near future's tasks and probably there are a very few users from Hungary testing or using the software now). Do you think its possible to do the translation in a relatively simple way and/or have you got any hints or tips? Is it possible to do it while working with some modules (im not using all of them) or is it too big modification to leave the uploaded data untouched? If you have any comments on this, thank you very much in advance.

Best Regards!

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for trying out erpnext. We are glad that you find it useful.

Right now, it is not possible for you to make erpnext truly multilingual.

ERPNext allows you to change the labels of fields in a form. Hence, you can change the labels to Hungarian Language. Also, it is possible to enter data in Hungarian.

This will make ERPNext partly multilingual. However, messages shown by system like error messages, validation messages, prompts for data entry, navigation pages, etc. will still remain in english.

We suggest that you create a trial account, then try changing the labels of the forms. Then ask your users if they are able to accept the system.

For now, this seems to be the only solution available.

Please give this a try.

Thanks,
Anand Doshi.
Developer, ERPNext.

FYI:

Making erpnext truly multilingual will require a translation module to be setup, which will read translations from a file like:
"Welcome to ERPNext" --> "Üdvözöljük a ERPNext"

However, it will take a considerable time and effort to get it ready. We had started work on it, but the functionality is not mature yet. Due to other commitments, we had to put that work on hold.

Once the translation module gets ready, the translations will involve such above mentioned mappings to be written into a file, i.e. English text to Hungarian Text, for all possible text.

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:34 PM, Daniel Mahler <fe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

Im now testing ERPnext and have to say its amazing. I have tested almost a dozen of open source erp systems in the past half year and ERPnext is one of the best.
Only one problem exists for me and it is the lack of multilingual interface, so i would like to translate it to Hungarian language (i think its probably not among near future's tasks and probably there are a very few users from Hungary testing or using the software now). Do you think its possible to do the translation in a relatively simple way and/or have you got any hints or tips? Is it possible to do it while working with some modules (im not using all of them) or is it too big modification to leave the uploaded data untouched? If you have any comments on this, thank you very much in advance.

Best Regards!

Daniel

Dear Anand Doshi,

Thank you very much for the quick and detailed answer. If i set up the system, i would like to work with it continously so i dont have to migrate our database again when the translation module is ready if i understand it well. I think i will test it. Do you have an approximate date when the translation module should be ready? Or is it completely on hold and there is no ending date? The answer would also help me making the decision.

Best regards!

Daniel

2012. július 20., péntek 8:37:36 UTC+2 időpontban Anand Doshi a következőt írta:

Hi Daniel,

ERPNext allows you to change the labels of fields in a form. Hence, you can change the labels to Hungarian Language. Also, it is possible to enter data in Hungarian.

This will make ERPNext partly multilingual. However, messages shown by system like error messages, validation messages, prompts for data entry, navigation pages, etc. will still remain in english.

We suggest that you create a trial account, then try changing the labels of the forms. Then ask your users if they are able to accept the system.

Please give this a try.

Thanks,
Anand Doshi.
Developer, ERPNext.

FYI:

Making erpnext truly multilingual will require a translation module to be setup, which will read translations from a file like:

However, it will take a considerable time and effort to get it ready. We had started work on it, but the functionality is not mature yet. Due to other commitments, we had to put that work on hold.

Once the translation module gets ready, the translations will involve such above mentioned mappings to be written into a file, i.e. English text to Hungarian Text, for all possible text.

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:34 PM, Daniel Mahler wrote:
Hello,

Best Regards!

Daniel

Daniel,

There is no ending date on this. We have a prototype version of the translation architecture ready, (to show our interest), but we are a very small team and its not a big priority at the moment.

If you have a set of customers who are ready to pay for this to get done, then we could surely have a look.

best,
Rushabh

On 23-Jul-2012, at 11:28 AM, Daniel Mahler wrote:

Dear Anand Doshi,

Thank you very much for the quick and detailed answer. If i set up the system, i would like to work with it continously so i dont have to migrate our database again when the translation module is ready if i understand it well. I think i will test it. Do you have an approximate date when the translation module should be ready? Or is it completely on hold and there is no ending date? The answer would also help me making the decision.

Best regards!

Daniel

2012. július 20., péntek 8:37:36 UTC+2 időpontban Anand Doshi a következőt írta:
Hi Daniel,

Please give this a try.

Thanks,
Anand Doshi.
Developer, ERPNext.

FYI:

Hello,

Best Regards!

Daniel

Hello,

I’m trying erpnext here in Brazil and would also appreciate a translation, the software is great and I’m sure if it was multilingual the number of costumers would be much larger.

When the translation module is ready I’m willing to make the translation to Brazilian Portuguese.

You mentioned that if we had a set of costumers ready to pay for this you could have a look, just out of curiosity, how much are we talking about here??

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Jean Paul Cousseau

On Monday, July 23, 2012 6:04:34 PM UTC+5:30, Rushabh Mehta wrote:

Daniel,

There is no ending date on this. We have a prototype version of the translation architecture ready, (to show our interest), but we are a very small team and its not a big priority at the moment.

If you have a set of customers who are ready to pay for this to get done, then we could surely have a look.

best,
Rushabh

Dear Anand Doshi,

Best regards!

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Please give this a try.

Thanks,
Anand Doshi.
Developer, ERPNext.

FYI:

Hello,

Best Regards!

Daniel

Dear Jean,

Thank you for your encouragement and kind words.

We already have a translation system setup, but we still need to merge it with the main branch. Once that is done, we can set default translations from Google Translate and then you can go over it and correct them.

I really can't say how fast we can release though. We have already promised updates in Production module that are due for development next. We will try and speed it up as fast as possible, since the number of language requests have gone up too.

Regarding payment and customers, I know there would be customers ready, so its not an issue. The issue is only about the development bottlenecks at our end.

I can't give any commitment but it should take another 3-4 weeks (warning: my estimates have been way off in the past).

Thanks again for writing in, it always helps us re-assess priorities.

best,
Rushabh

W: https://erpnext.com
T: @rushabh_mehta

On 26-Oct-2012, at 5:29 PM, Jean Paul Cousseau <ze...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying erpnext here in Brazil and would also appreciate a translation, the software is great and I'm sure if it was multilingual the number of costumers would be much larger.

When the translation module is ready I'm willing to make the translation to Brazilian Portuguese.

You mentioned that if we had a set of costumers ready to pay for this you could have a look, just out of curiosity, how much are we talking about here??

Jean Paul Cousseau

Daniel,

best,
Rushabh

Dear Anand Doshi,

Best regards!

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Please give this a try.

Thanks,
Anand Doshi.
Developer, ERPNext.

FYI:

Hello,

Best Regards!

Daniel

Great!

Thanks for the fast reply!

Best regards,
Jean Paul Cousseau

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Rushabh Mehta <rm…@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Jean,

Thank you for your encouragement and kind words.

We already have a translation system setup, but we still need to merge it with the main branch. Once that is done, we can set default translations from Google Translate and then you can go over it and correct them.

I really can't say how fast we can release though. We have already promised updates in Production module that are due for development next. We will try and speed it up as fast as possible, since the number of language requests have gone up too.

Regarding payment and customers, I know there would be customers ready, so its not an issue. The issue is only about the development bottlenecks at our end.

I can't give any commitment but it should take another 3-4 weeks (warning: my estimates have been way off in the past).

Thanks again for writing in, it always helps us re-assess priorities.

best,
Rushabh

On 26-Oct-2012, at 5:29 PM, Jean Paul Cousseau <ze...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying erpnext here in Brazil and would also appreciate a translation, the software is great and I'm sure if it was multilingual the number of costumers would be much larger.

When the translation module is ready I'm willing to make the translation to Brazilian Portuguese.

Jean Paul Cousseau

Daniel,

best,
Rushabh

Dear Anand Doshi,

Best regards!

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Please give this a try.

Thanks,
Anand Doshi.
Developer, ERPNext.

FYI:

Hello,

Best Regards!

Daniel